Juggling needs of the fish vs. aesthetic of the tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Juggling needs of the fish vs. aesthetic of the tank

Hi everyone,

Been thinking about something lately and and figured I'm probably not the only one who has run into this.

Background, I rescaped my tank several weeks go and was very happy with how it looked, added in driftwood and liked the balance and composition of it. Things have gone fairly well after that, plants growing nicely, I've just got vallisneria, crypts and java fern so nothing tricky to manage or anything. It's a low tech tank.

Anyway just over a week ago I added 4 german blue rams to the tank, 2 males and 2 females. They seem to be settling in well, at the front of the glass begging for food when I get home from work and very active and beautiful.

However two days ago it became obvious that one set of male/female had paired off, oviposter sticking out on on the female, her belly going a bright pink, male very flashy colour wise and the pair of them getting very protective over an area of the tank chasing all fish away. Basically I think they're thinking about spawning.

Unfortunately the other female hasn't paired with the other male, he has his territory as well and chases her away viciously whenever he sees her, and the pair also chase her away so she's kind of stuck in the middle, loosing her colour and even has a small wound on her side from a bite.

The tank is 40" by 16" footprint so there should be enough territory for the four of them.

Anyway to help her out I've put in a few more rocks and decorations I had lying around to break up lines of sight more and I think it's definitely helped her, but now the visual balance of the tank is off.

The fish are alive so they come first and I'm hoping my lone female will heal up without problems and get her mojo back but it's annoying to have the extra stuff in the tank now

I think a longer term solution is to just plant it more heavily but I doubt I'm the only one who's run into this type of problem. Heh.. I guess that's why the most carefully aquascaped tanks tend to just have very peaceful fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
If you have a QT tank around, place her in it for a bit till she heals up.
As for the other fish, rescape the tank, make it beautiful in a different way.
If the fish don't breed right now, that's ok, they will get back at it and hopefully all will be happy together and the tank will look aesthetic again.
Good Luck!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have an empty 30 gallon sitting around but I'd have to set it up from scratch to move her into it and I'm not sure going into a new uncycled tank is good for her at this point, still it's definitely an option and I could seed it with filter media from the existing tank etc.

I'll see how she's doing when I get home from work today and make a decision. Thanks for your help!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Often the uncycled QT tank will work fine but it does take a bit more work. A single Sick, injured or holding fish needs very, very little food so the bio-load is very small. I never feed fish in QT as they often just do not eat at first. Clean water is about the best medicine, so I do a lot of large water changes. The combo of no food and lots of water will keep the ammonia way down for the short term and then if the fish stays for longer, the bio can be managed with more than normal water changing. Works well for me.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's a good point with the bioload for a single fish in a non tiny tank.

I've decided to keep her in the main tank for a bit longer, the others seem to have backed off a bit and while she's not as brilliantly coloured as the others she's not looking too bad and is still active and eating well etc.

I put up pictures of them all in this post in my tank journal thread.

Also managed to rearrange things in the tank so it's not too bad while still having more territory defining things in it than it had before

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fauna: rummy nose tetras, a bolivian ram, otos, pygmy cories, smudge spot cories and a bristlenose pleco.
Flora: Java ferns (windelov, narrow, broad and trident), crypts, swords (martii), alternanthera reineckii, ludwegia mini, monte carlo, hygrophilia, clinopodium brownei

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fauna: 2 amano shrimp
Flora: Anubias, dwarf sag, staurogyne repens
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 02:11 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
There's also a difference between keeping basic community fish and keeping cichlids of any kind, including dwarf cichlids. Community fish don't usually require that we rearrange the tank decor to address the needs of individual fish within the group. Cichlids, on the other hand, do have this requirement, especially when we have more than one breeding pair since this increases their natural aggression.

When I decided it was important to me that my Pelvicachromis were comfortable enough in my tanks to pair up, breed, and then raise the fry in the tank, I decided to build my entire scape with the fish's needs in mind. In the case of the Pelvicachromis, that means I needed to provide caves. So I put in about a dozen caves throughout my 90g and 75g each before putting anything else in. I then planted around the caves. For the most part, you can't see the caves (that was the idea), but the fish can! I also decided to let go of my loaches since I thought they would be too pushy for the parents while protecting their fry.

So rather than building a scape and then adding things to accommodate the needs of the fish, flip the thinking around. First, add what the fish need, and then scape around it. Odds are, the scape will be very pretty because all you're doing is taking the fish's needs into consideration during the design phase rather than as an add-on after the design is done.

VickiStill running most of my tanks.

90g -
                     75g -

29g -
                    8g - Plants only
5g - Plants only                 2.5g -
Retired
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 03:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Good thoughts Complexity.

Siggav, you can also get one of those framed net "breeder" boxes. The ones that hang on the side top of the tank. It will help her from getting picked on for a while. Or, just go the $ store and get a plastic basket with a lip at the top. The lip will hold air, thus making it float. They are good for short term, but a QT tank is better for long.

Good Luck!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode