Driftwood isn't sinking... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)
Driftwood isn't sinking...

I have a very large and thick piece of driftwood I'm trying to sink for my 75 gallon. I've drilled very deep holes into the wood and saw that the inside is still very dry. It was soaking for several weeks before I drilled holes and has been soaking for several now in the sun. What can I do to speed up the sinking? I don't really want to disturb my substrate, as it's dirt capped with sand, but I don't know what else I can do besides weighting it down and putting it in.

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Boil it, should help but may need repeat
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 12:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
+1 for boiling. I put a piece in my tank for over a month and it didn't even start to waterlog. Some pieces are just stubborn. Boiling should fix that though.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I put my monster piece into the clean and empty dishwasher and ran it for a couple cycles, helped a little. Weighing it down under the water waterlogs it faster too. In the end after over 10 years in the tank it still floated.

You could try filling those holes you made with something heavy to weigh it down as you don't want to attach something flat to the bottom to bury under the substrate as you want to avoid the mess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Silicone it to a rock or you can temporarily hold it down with rocks and that should work.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 09:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I have the same problem. 2 months and it is still slightly buoyant. I have a piece of granite glued to the back and it helps, just now it lifts up the front. Initially I had a few large rocks on it to help hold it down. Now they're removed and it is just starting to float. I didn't think of drilling holes in the back - hopefully that would help.

Didn't try boiling mine - I don't have a pot that can fit even half of the wood into.

Have any pictures of your driftwood? Mine is listed in my 75g link in the sig.

[
-- 20g shrimp jungle --
]
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
You could try filling those holes you made with something heavy to weigh it down...
Insert weights into the holes. However, don't use lead weights. (Although lead plant wraps seem to be the only weights available at the LPS.) If you're going to stand it up, drill out the bottom and insert the weight there. If you'll be laying it on its side, insert the weights from what will be the back. To cap the drilled holes, you can insert moss or other plant material to hide the holes.

What weights, metal or otherwise, are safe to use in aquariums?

Last edited by KlintZquarium; 07-26-2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: typo correction
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote " However, don't use lead weights"

What is your reason for this? Have you found anything to indicate lead in the tank is not safe?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 01:01 AM
Algae Grower

Lead means dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Have you found anything to indicate lead in the tank is not safe?
Lead poisoning?

Lead's been used for well over a century in aquariums. Also used for stained glass and many other functions around the house. Lead is soft and malleable and extremely dense and heavy. Hence its use for weights.

However, lead use in paint has been banned in the US. There's a strong push by environmentalists to ban the use of lead for fishing gear because it leaches into the environment. Same goes for the push to ban lead usage in bullets.

If a better substitute can be used, go for that over lead.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 01:25 AM
Algae Grower

if you havent allready planted out your tank , on the side which youll be putting into the substrate, screw a flat piece of slate or a ceramic floor tile to the driftwood place the driftwood into the tank then cover it with you gravel/substrate this will hold it down and keep it in place until its waterlogged.

cheers
chad

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode