DSM = easy part .... what about after the flood? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Exclamation DSM = easy part .... what about after the flood?

so i just wrapped up my 4th week on my dry start, all the details of plants and tank specs are in my signature, its my 10g rimless setup, i finally built my paintball co2 and flooded the tank two days ago, so far all i have done is cranked up the co2 and had low surface agitation, but what now? when do i start dosing ferts, and what kind do i dose, honestly all i have is aquariumplants.com liquid supps and excel, anyone like to provide some guidance here to the dsm newb??

p.s. what bps should i be running on co2? i think im around 5 if its too high my diffusor just largens the bubbles and im afraid i dont get as good absorption

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
From what you've said, sounds like you're doing it right. With no fauna in the tank, I'd just make certain to flood it with CO2 and slowly decrease until you're around the recommended 30ppm.

I know that dry ferts from GLA are great, if you're wanting to do EI method or the PPS method. That seems to be what many people prefer. There are several other liquid ferts.

BPS is all subjective to each person's plant load, tank size, CO2 distribution method, etc etc. Doesn't really show how much CO2 you're maintaining in your tank. You'll need to purchase a dropchecker, or something of the sort, to measure the actual CO2 level in the water column.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

i plan on purchasing a drop checker, but ive also heard this isnt very accurate on how much co2 is really in the water..... yet again its better then nothing... would flourish excel hurt? i know it can be a cause of melting plants....

as far as the tank goes its a 10g lights running 3 wpg on 8 hrs a day, bps 5, not sure how to measure ppm or a great cheap resource for dry ferts....

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Drop checkers aren't super accurate but are accurate enough for our purposes.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 06:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
I respectfully disagree.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
I respectfully disagree.
what would your advice be tom? i would love to hear your input

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

For your dry ferts needs, check out Green Leaf Aquariums. They have a link down in the seller's area of the forum. Excellent quality and really cheap too. For your 10 gallon, one bag would last months.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetbizquit View Post
what would your advice be tom? i would love to hear your input
Tom, you respectfully disagree on which point? That they are not accurate, or that they are accurate enough?

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 06:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Quote:
All a DC tells you is 30ppm at that location. After 30ppm, it does nothing for you. Below, the same. On top of that the reaction time of it can have a 2 hour lag. You need to watch your fish and plants. Do the fish have enough o2? Are your plants growing well? Algae? These are better thing to watch to see if YOUR co2 is good for YOUR tank.

-

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I agree with a DC being good enough. Not sure what others add to their solution but mine in 3 tanks all are close enough to accurate.

Just the other day my co2 ran out and had it not been for the DC I would have never known untill algae hit me like crazy. DC remained blue half the day and I was able to fix the problem same day. No fish or plant is gonna tell u that before algae speaks his mind first.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I agree, I think most of that is common sense though.

Obviously if your fish at at the surface gasping for air, you've got algae growing all on the tank, but the DC says it's ok.... you would know it wasn't right.

Oh, and I don't see anywhere near a 2 hour lag time in my DC. When I do a water change, the second the water goes below the DC, it turns blue literally right in front of my eyes. Then, as water rises, it turns back to blue/green instantly.

This is just my experience.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
I respectfully disagree.
I will always bow to your knowledge, but if you could please elaborate that would be great. Thanks.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I will always bow to your knowledge, but if you could please elaborate that would be great. Thanks.
+1

and thanks again colin for the hookup on ferts and ish' will refer many my friend

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode