pool filter sand. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
pool filter sand.

I am looking to start using a different substrate in my planted tank besides rocks. I have vals, a sprite, 1 sword, some hairgrass, and a moth ball..

Now, I want to start using maybe pool filter sand. I know it has silica in it, and I am wondering if it would be harmful to my fish and plants.

I have 1 hifin platy, neon tetras, an oto, and alot of glass shrimp.

Would it be better for my shrimp to use sand rather than rocks?

If this sand is harmful, what do you recommend I use?

Any information would be great as I am new to all of this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 08:46 AM
Planted Member

Pool filter sand is good stuff. Consistent in size, relatively clean, and doesn't compact much at all. I'm using in in one of my tanks right now. Ya, there's silica, but its really hard to avoid. (You should see the diatom algae detonation I set off with lava rock lol)

Just avoid play sand. That stuff might as well be dirt.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Silica as in play or pool filter sands, some gravel and other sources is not a problem for fish or plants in an aquarium. It can trigger the growth of 'Brown Algae', also known as Diatoms. (Google for images, they are really interesting seen under a 'scope').

The secret is to remove the silica as fast as possible. Allow the diatoms to grow, they are filtering the silica out of the water and incorporating it into their body. If they are allowed to die in the tank that silica gets recycled into more diatoms.
If you remove the diatoms then the silica in their body gets removed. You can wipe off the diatoms from things you can remove from the tank, or you can get Otos or a few other fish to eat the diatoms, then vacuum the poop. Or you can wipe off the things while they are still in the tank, and keep the siphon close by to remove the diatoms.
Keep cleaning the filter media, too. Gently, the new bacteria are still colonizing it, but slosh the sponges around enough to remove the diatoms.

Even if you do not make any effort to remove the silica eventually the diatoms will die off. It just goes faster if you can keep on removing the silica.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 04:36 PM
Discus freak

PTrader: (14/94%)
I've used pool filter sand before, rinsed the crap out of it... despite what people say, that stuff still needs to be cleaned and prepped before shoving it in your aquarium... and It's cheap!

50# for $20 i believe.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
I know a lot of people say pool filter sand does not compact, but any substrate will compact, and the finer it is, the more likely it will.

Silica is not a problem unless it is in high concentration, and that can vary in any silica/quartz sand, and then it is a pain in the but, but manageable.

Silica sand provides no minerals that plants require, and has very poor cation exchange capacity, so you would have to fertilize by either adding something to the sand or to the water.

Robert Paul Hudson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all of the input guys! For now, im going to stick with my natural colored rocks. Later on down the road I am going to do either sand or something like eco complete.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode