new to diy with CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
new to diy with CO2

Ok i just made a new diy C02 set up, and mixed up a a batch, and put it all together, how long should it be till the bubbles start bubbling, in not totaly sure i got every thing sealed right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well if you didn't get everything sealed right, then you probably won't start seeing bubbles into your alcohol reservoir bottle or the tank diffuser...

The time it takes varies. Some people report it takes hours... I've seen bubbles in as little as 30 minutes before. In a few hours, it will be going at full rate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
I'd try again after 24 hours if you don't get any bubbles. It took me a few tries to get it right my first time.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just use a drill bit, while drilling the cap holes, that is smaller than the air hose, which is normally 1/4" hose. Use one a couple sizes smaller than that. Cut the hose tips at a diagonal, put the pointed tip through, grab it with tweezers, and pull the hose through the cap hole.

Also, I know alot of people say it doesn't matter... which I can't say if it does or not... but I only use bottles that are meant to contain CO2, such as soda bottles. It just makes sense to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

williak. that seals it well enought? cus made my holes to big and was planing to use silicone to seal it but come to find out i didnt have any in my work truck. so i used a hot glue gun. not sure if it sealed right.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
when i made my DIY co2, i cut the tubing at a slant to pull through and it made its own seal which was nice,what you did. with regards to how long it takes, the tube will start to bubble the moment the CO2 starts producing but you have to wait for the o2 to be evacuated. to be safe, i let it run for about a day (18 or so hours) until i ran it into my diffuser, a powerhead.

|

|

RAOK Club #72
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigofva View Post
williak. that seals it well enought? cus made my holes to big and was planing to use silicone to seal it but come to find out i didnt have any in my work truck. so i used a hot glue gun. not sure if it sealed right.
I used to try to seal it up with silicone as well, but really, that stuff doesn't do so well holding back corrosive gas under pressure, and if you move the hoses around, etc, you are putting flex into it...so it ends up failing.

Now I just do what was mentioned above and drill a couple sizes smaller than the hose, and it fits so snugly I don't need to seal it with anything. Works great.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks yall,

do you know what size drill bit works best?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
11/64" works for standard silicone airline tubing, drill from the inside of the cap out.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:

I tried using hot glue to seal my bottles once and it didn't do a very good job. So I used some Loctite aquarium safe sealant on the inside and out and it seamed to seal completely.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just start small.... maybe a 11/64" as recommended above, try to put it through... if it's too tight, go up one size to maybe a 13/64"..... try again.... repeat

It's ok if it is a tight squeeze, that is what you want... Just make sure it's not so smashed that the inside tubing is touching each side. Even if it is just a small little hole, it doesn't matter, as the gas will still get through.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok i re did my caps. With a. 11/64 bit. Took me a whole to find my drill. It was in my work truck, go figure. Well. iput the new caps on my bottle. And the bubble counter was giving bubbles wmin 2 min . Im not sure if its bubbling in the tank yet tho.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok i tighten the cap on the bubble counter bottle. Now its bubbling in the tank. Is. What stops the co2 from just going out the top of the tank?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Ok i tighten the cap on the bubble counter bottle. Now its bubbling in the tank. Is. What stops the co2 from just going out the top of the tank?
Nothing.

That is why the method of diffusion is really important. You ideally don't want any CO2 bubbles breaking the surface. You want them to be diffused finely enough so that when they reach the surface, they've already dissolved into the water column.

What type of diffusion method are you using?

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)
I have wasted my time on diy. I'm much happier with pressurized CO2 - expensive but worth every penny spent.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode