WC / dosing (going on vacation) --- suggestions?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
WC / dosing (going on vacation) --- suggestions??

Hi all. I have a heavily planted 20g tank(described a bit more in my sig). On July 1st, my wife and I will be going on a 2 1/2 week vacation(coming back on the 17th) to Europe. Does anyone have suggestions of what to do during this extended absense on water changes and dosing? Lately, I've been holding off on dosing as I'm still fighting a little hair algae and green water keeps coming back, but I still do water changes at least once a week(40-50%). Anyway, should I just reduce the lighting, do a huge water change and hope for the best, or what? To add insult to injury (from the tank's perspective), we'll also be moving about a week or two after coming back. This should be interesting. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
-Ryan

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 10:31 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am no expert on this subject yet but I also have a similar dilemma in September. I will away for a month!! I was planning to do a 70-80% water change before leaving and put some "pond lilly tablets" into the substrate for slow release of ferts and hope for the best. The tablets have the macros as well as some iron in them. I know it is not going to be precise but I cannot think of many other ways except spending lots of money and buying an automatic doser.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Maybe a nice dependable neighbor or relative or ideally a fellow hobbyist would be able to take care of the duties while you are out? Make it as easy as possible for them- no water changes with maybe bi or tri-weekly visits to feed the fish and add premixed fert solutions.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I think you've got two good options now...

1) Spend a lot of money on an autodoser
2) Get a neighbor to help with premixed doses

So, I'll suggest a third, if you can't do 1 or 2 above:

3) Enjoy Europe! Spend that autodoser money there - on a nice time for your wife! Forget the tank. It's gonna have a hard time when you move anyway.

Would be good if someone could help you with you light question though...

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm still not sure if I'm going to leave some pre-mixed ferts for our neighbor to add...I'll definately leave instructions to feed them every other day (in case they add too much, at least its not every day).
1)buying an auto-doser isn't an option. Wife and I are also buying our first house(closes in 7 days), so between that and the vacation, money is tight.
....I'll probably just do a huge water change before we go, add some ferts and leave instructions on feeding...then hope for the best. The tank itself is doing quite well, aside from the hair algae and I remove almost daily(not too bad though), but the glosso has suffered from the blackouts from the recent battle with GW. I had a thick carpet of it, but had to remove much due to algae and dying/yellowing leaves. There's some left and I'm sure it will recover, but the conditions it will be subjected to in the next month or so may drag out the recovery process. On top of all that, the tank temperature has been 82-84 degrees lately, probably a contributing factor of the algae problems...but its tough too keep a 20g temp controlled with this hot CA climate.

BTW - thanks for the well-wishes in Europe. It's my first time going there and we're trying to see as much as we can. We'll be seeing a friend and his family(USAF) in Belgium, plus an old roommate of mine in Germany. Then, if we have time, we'll spend a couple days in France.

90g journal:

SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You know, I suppose it's really a question of how fast you run through your ferts. I've got a heavily planted 20g, and I could go a week without ferts. Maybe. But in two weeks it would be long since dry of nitrates and phosphates, and I'll wager I'd have algae kicking in.

You sure you don't want to leave a little pre-measured? The plants have got to be using something in your absence.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 10:14 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Get those pill containers like people have that have 7 seperate section, or better yet get one with 4 weeks of sections. Then YOu can premeasure the amount of ferts to go in the tank. That's what I do each week I measure it out then I can just pour it into a container to go in the tank. Then whoever is feeding the fish can just mix that day in the water and pour it in. You could also lower the lights while you are gone.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

the lowering light idea is good. With 5.5 wpg, I have enough trouble keeping it maintained when I'm around, much less while I'm across seas. So, I can reduce the lighting from 110 down to 55 and perhaps pre-mix some ferts in some small bottles or something and ask to have them added about a week apart. That way, at least the plants are getting *something*.
And Scolly, I set this tank up in February and after about late-March, it was looking good and everything was growing. I was adding ferts almost daily, but lately I've been a little gun-shy as it seems that whenever I add ferts, I come home the next day to find GW back again. Maybe the gw being around WAS the reason for its return when I added ferts. I bet that once its gone, I can safely add ferts again. 'Course I have my non-aquarist wife constantly telling me, "Don't add those chemicals, you just get algae. You should just leave it alone"....ME: "Yes. But, plants NEED these chemicals in order to grow, photsynthesize, etc....nevermind"
Thanks.
-Ryan

90g journal:

SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Ryan, sounds like you can't really know whether, or how much, dosing should be done on your vacation until the tank is stabilized, and you know for certain what that dose is. Sound's like at the moment you are working through that process. A bit of unfortunate timing I think.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode