How to rid Planaria? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
How to rid Planaria?

Aqua soil has thrown me threw a whole bunch of loops on this project including now a minor outbreak of Planaria. In over 10 years I've never expirenced this so I'm looking for advice.

How do I rid them and prevent from coming back? Not even sure where they came from, can't b from over feeding as the tank only contains ottos which feed off algae only.

Kind of grosses me out to be honest lol can these things infect humans at all? Would guppies eat them?

All advice is appriciated thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Algae Grower

Something I found, hope it helps.

"To get rid of these worms, you have to remove their food source. Start with a thorough gravel vacuum and partial water change (30%-50% change) or, if preferred, stir the gravel on a daily basis until all the excess food and waste runs through your mechanical filtration. This should be accompanied by weekly partial water changes until all your parameters are within an acceptable range. The worms themselves can be removed if you really want them gone fast or if you’re trying to breed fish (they will eat fish eggs), though left alone the fish will probably eat them and the remainder will die of starvation as their food source is systematically removed from the aquarium.

While regular checks of the water parameters will help you identify problems before they become serious issues, I strongly recommend having a secondary precaution in place. Water maintenance products such as EcoBio-Block will go a long way toward keeping the parameters healthy and preventing ammonia spikes. EcoBio-Block keeps high levels of beneficial bacteria in the aquarium for up to two years, which can readily deal with these spikes. This product also provides essential minerals that the fish need to be healthy, ensuring they’re in peak condition to deal with any issues in the aquarium."
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
No-Planaria worked great for me! I got it from Orlando over at Greenleaf Aquariums. I get them occasionally in my shrimp tanks and I'm sure that it's from overfeeding. Just make sure you remove your nerite snails if you have any and don't put them back until all traces of the no-planaria are gone. It didn't harm my assassin snails tho. Jimbo.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
If you have some Corydoras in other tanks, I'd put them here. They should get wiped out.

I really do not like using chemicals, but there are various ones out there such as "No-Planaria" that have worked really well.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't know if no-planaria is really a chemical,it says that the main ingredient is Betel nut palm extract.
Jimbo.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ive never heard of Eco bio block u got a link?

My thing is how did they even get in my tank? Does water and bacteria create these things? I don't have any food in the tank.. none at all. Only thing they can be feeding off of is the green algae on the substrate and glass walls.

Do Corydoras eat them? I don't have any but i can pick a few up. I've heard of reg old de wormer for dogs works. Or should I use no Planaria? Only thing in my tank is ottos, no shrimp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Dog dewormer. Panacur. There is instructions on the shrimpnow website.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Yep Panacur works and wont hurt your otos. I thought that "No Planaria " was panacur but I guess I could have misunderstood that.

I got some from my vet in liquid form and used 2.5 ML (CC) per 20 gallons. It wiped the planaria out in one treatment and did not hurt my otos or shrimp. If you have many planaria you will want to do a water change to keep ammonia from spiking from dead planaria bodies.

http://www.shrimpnow.com/content.php...to-get-rid-off
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok now that I know how to kill them can someone explain to me how they got in my tank?

No food for them too feed of off except algae

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I don't know if no-planaria is really a chemical,it says that the main ingredient is Betel nut palm extract.
Jimbo.
Lots of chemicals are plant extracts...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Mine hitch hiked on plants.. cory cats will get them, guppy fry might as well... I've started using guppy fry in a shrimp tank for general scud removal..
I have clam shrimp, planaria and some other odd little shrimpy things..

Edit: scavengers will help with eating up food before the planaria as well. I have to note, planaria are crazy and will make it into all of your tanks if you share equiptment.. one of my room mates tanks has a nasty infestation.

I gave him some moss that had a few hitch hikers in it.. he overfeeds, for his trumpet snails, he loves them... Now when the lights come on in his tank.. my skin crawls...

Last edited by steven p; 07-20-2012 at 09:12 PM. Reason: more info
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just an update on this..

No chemicals needed. Threw in a hungry gourmi and didn't feed for the first two days, haven't seen one since. Right away he went to the pile and got to eating.

I prefer getting rid of unwanted tank mates the natural way with chemicals being the last resort. I also got rid of all the hitch hiked snails with 2 assassin's.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode