...Can I add more fish in now? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
...Can I add more fish in now?

I've had my betta in my Edge for a while now and I've done water changes and used Prime, all that jazz. I never used the API master kit to test out my parameters and some people have been giving me crap about it. I spent the $18 on amazon and it came today. Added the drops to the tubes and what do you know:

PH: 7.2-7.6?
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

I might've mixed up the ammonia with nitrate, but whatever I have 2 blue tubes and 2 yellow ones. Cycling is just a matter of time as long as you change the water and remove visible waste.

Now...can I finally add neon tetras and maybe an oto?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 06:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

If it is the six gallon edge I would not put tetras in it. They like to school and 6 gallons is not very big. You don't seem to be taking this seriously at all either. All of your posts have come off as you being impatient and very uncaring towards the fish you wish to put into your tank. I am sorry if I sound like a broken record but most people here take their fish keeping much more seriously than you seem to, at least from what I see from your other posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 06:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
As I understand..

You need nitrate.

Ammonia is bad, and fish/food create it. If you don't have nitrate, then you don't have anything to keep the bad ammonia away.

That's how I think it works anyways, still a newb myself.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by microw View Post
As I understand..

You need nitrate.

Ammonia is bad, and fish/food create it. If you don't have nitrate, then you don't have anything to keep the bad ammonia away.
So my tank isn't cycled yet? I scooped up water from near the top of the tank does that matter...maybe there's more waste at the bottom of the tank?

PS: Why do german barbs need such big tanks when they're the same size as a betta? They look sick and I want one...and are rainbow/bala sharks the smallest freshwater shark? they can grow pretty big
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 06:26 AM
Banned

How long has your tank been running?

And you sound like you're going to get the fish no matter what people say.

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyTR View Post
How long has your tank been running?

And you sound like you're going to get the fish no matter what people say.
I bought the tank beginning of June. I definitely want neons but I might get less of them depending on how suitable it is. I was thinking an oto buddy for my betta I read they go well together.

So are my water conditions suitable? My betta had a little fin rot when I got it and it still does, I thought it would've healed by now. Will I have to buy medicine? I know neons are sensitive so I want to know if nows a good time to get them.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 06:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
when did you add the betta to the tank?

also: fin rot will not go away by itself, i'd add aquarium salt if i were you, do NOT treat with pima/melafix because it can damage your betta's labyrinth organ and ultimately kill it

and

i'd be wary of adding any tankmates to a betta's tank at all because there's no way you'll know if it's aggressive or not until you do, and you might end up with a tank of dead fish or having to get a new tank for the former tankmates.

and

tetras do really poorly in groups of less than six-eight IMHO/others' experiences, they're schooling fish and you cannot fit that many in an edge with a betta.

you might want to get fish because they look cool, but you have to remember that they're animals and not house decorations. mistreating them is just as bad as mistreating any other pet, they might not be smart but they can definitely feel.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
As I understand..

Not sure what you mean by "If you don't have nitrate, then you don't have anything to keep the bad ammonia away." - nitrate is the end product of the nitrogen cycle. Ammonia gets converted to nitrite, which then gets converted to nitrate. The nitrate is then removed with water changes.

Master, with those readings is impossible to know if your tank is cycled. Typically a tank is considered cycled when you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and readable nitrates. However, if you have a single betta in a 6g tank and have recently done a water change then it's possible for the nitrates to be low enough to be un-readable. I would suggest that you continue testing daily and see what your readings look like. I would not consider the tank cycled until you see some nitrates in there.

As far as tank mates go, you have already been given good information. Tetras are schooling fish and should be kept in groups of 6 or more and you cannot put that many in your tank. They will not be happy in smaller groups and will not do well if you try it. And they are generally shy fish that will not be comfortable with a betta unless it's in a larger tank.

You also need to be prepared to to rehome ANY fish that you put in with a betta - bettas are territorial fish and many will not tolerate tankmates. So you need to have a plan in place to rehome either the betta or the new fish into another cycled tank if problems arise. And note that even if the bettas tolerates tank mates at first, he may not later on. That's just how bettas roll.

Last edited by wendyjo; 07-21-2012 at 01:59 AM. Reason: typo
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Also, don't add any fish to the tank until you get the fin rot cleared up.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
Ammonia gets converted to nitrate, which then gets converted to nitrate.
Oops, you have a slight typo. I think you were intending to say: Ammonia gets converted to nitrite, which then gets converted to nitrate.

Ammonia -> Nitrite -> Nitrate -> (water change)

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post

Master, with those readings is impossible to know if your tank is cycled. Typically a tank is considered cycled when you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and readable nitrates. However, if you have a single betta in a 6g tank and have recently done a water change then it's possible for the nitrates to be low enough to be un-readable. I would suggest that you continue testing daily and see what your readings look like. I would not consider the tank cycled until you see some nitrates in there.
Thanks. I did do a water change not that long ago. I did the test yesterday and left them in the tubes. This morning the nitrate is now slightly orange when before it was completely yellow and the other three tubes stayed the same. Is it safe to say it's now cycled? It's weird because there's still visible planaria.

As for the neons, my betta always follows my finger and tries to jump at it but I'm not worried he'll kill them as neons are much better/faster swimmers. I'm more concerned they'll nip his fins. Since he's been in the tank by himself, is he now territorial? If I introduce ANY fish, should I remove him, introduce the new fish, and them put him back in a few days later?
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Like others have said, there isn't really enough space to add the minimum amount of neons to stay together. Your betta will probably be even more territorial than normal if the tank is only 6 gallons. Generally, the smaller the tank, the more compatibility issues you'll run into.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Algae Grower

You can test your tank by adding a little ammonia and seeing how fast it goes away, right?

I thought nitrates help keep the ammonia away, is that wrong?
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
You can test your tank by adding a little ammonia and seeing how fast it goes away, right?

I thought nitrates help keep the ammonia away, is that wrong?
Dude, beneficial bacteria eats ammonia which turns it into nitrite and then nitrite which is less harmful. Then you remove nitrite through water changes making your water safe like I have done.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Algae Grower

Ah okay, so having nitrate is a good sign of beneficial bacteria?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode