Natural Sun Light - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Natural Sun Light

How undesirable is it? I know it heats up the water and creates algea ... but can UV help to eliminate part of the algae? I am thinking of putting a tank in front of south facing picture window growing mostly vals with very low fish count, like one arowana per 8ft tank.

it would be cool if I can see the fish from the backyard which is just behind the picture window.

Currently I am think of using UV and doing a constant drip of water ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I think it's more a matter of length of photoperiod, time of day and full Sun or filtered Sun light.

The type of windows may be a factor too.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Get automatic blinds! A UV light might help against green water, but green spot algae loves that long interupted light session.. if anything else comes in, algae wise, it might go rampant as well...

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well length of photoperiod can be compensated by lighting and I am prepare to do that. Although it faces south, it would be mostly indirect sun as it's a single story house a with deep eave (see pic)
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I was referring to length of photoperiod as a a possible problem.

I think if you're just getting a brief blast as the Sun moves across the sky you will be o.k.

Last edited by DogFish; 07-19-2012 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Added a Contraction
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven p View Post
Get automatic blinds! A UV light might help against green water, but green spot algae loves that long interupted light session.. if anything else comes in, algae wise, it might go rampant as well...
I am prepare to do that too, but would love to see the tank from the patio outside so love to have it exposed as often as possible. I am more worry about winter sun then summer as the eave couldn't provide as much protection then.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 10:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Forget the fish tank, is that a ski lake in your back yard?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
If my tank only gets 2-3 hours of sunlight, the plants seem to benefit. Anything more then that, and it becomes a problem. It also seems to prefer double paned windows to single paned ones. I've never noticed much of a difference in water temperature, but I set my aquarium lights to turn off during the hours the sunlight would be coming through my window, so as not to totally overpower it. (Not to mention the plants and fish look particularly stunning under sunlight with no additional light sources.)

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
I really meant to post something helpful and I got side tracked by your photo. I have my 65g tank next to a window and it gets sunlight all the time. I've never had an issue. If your tank is receiving too much light, add some co2. Ok now that that is done, can I come over and play in your pond/lake?

-

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbug View Post
I really meant to post something helpful and I got side tracked by your photo. I have my 65g tank next to a window and it gets sunlight all the time. I've never had an issue. If your tank is receiving too much light, add some co2. Ok now that that is done, can I come over and play in your pond/lake?
It is owned and maintained by the complex, sadly we are not allow to 'work' on it. Although one could be tempted to buy say $20 of feeder goldfish and dump them in the pond.
This is about 1/4 of the whole thing:

Last edited by toffee; 07-20-2012 at 02:39 AM. Reason: wrong pic
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
I have my 20L sitting in a window getting NW exposure with light most of the day. I installed a frosted window film to keep down the heat in my office where the tank is and it does not have any algae issues whatsoever. Warmest it gets in here is 80'ish when I am not home but otherwise I leave the ceiling fan on and its all good.

The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

-RETIRED

- 06/2012

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 11:07 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Holy crap you millionaire, you!

Nice freaking pad, dude.

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Very nice place. Reminds me of where I was living in La Quinta, CA. I miss the desert!
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 01:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by antbug View Post
Forget the fish tank, is that a ski lake in your back yard?

Hmmm..nice "house."

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
I don't see how UV would decrease algae growth. I'd be careful with direct sunlight if you're going to use natural light. All it takes is a couple hours a day, even if it's just morning light and within a few days, you'll start to see troublesome algae.

I'd suggest indirect sunlight or have the light filtered somehow.

"Space and light and order. Those are the things that men need just as much as they need bread or a place to sleep."

DECOMMISSIONED

DECOMMISSIONED

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode