Shipping Fish First time - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Shipping Fish First time

Hey guys I think it's time to start thinning out my guppy and platy collection and I want to list them on the sns but I have never shipped fish before.

I have shipped plants and that turned out awesome but really how hard is it to pack a plant.

So I'm wonder if yall have any suggestions or tips or even step by step guides to shipping fish.

Cause it really can't be as simple as fill bag with water, add fish, add a little prime to be safe, seal bag with as much air as possible, pack box so bag doesn't shift, and then close and address box is it??? Am I just being too worried??

Thanks guys I know this is a dead horse. I just want my fish to make it safe and sound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Kordon Breather bags.

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
You did miss a couple points that would up the odds.
Line the cardboard box with insulation. Buy a sheet of 3/4 inch blueboard foam and cut it to press fit the inside of the box. Don't forget the top and bottom of the box. This works well as insulation to hold the temperature steady. Use new conditioned water, not old semi-polluted water.

Get larger bags than needed and fill only with enough water for the fish to swim well. They need air, not water. Double bag, turning one bag upside down in the other so that the corners are not left to let a fish get his head stuck.

Don't ship when the weather and timing are obviously against you. Avoid the summer time heat. The best shipper still has to let it wait somewhere for several hours. Don't ship during the pre-Christmas rush. Things get delayed.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 05:25 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Get larger bags than needed and fill only with enough water for the fish to swim well. They need air, not water.
I'm interested in this. When I was reading about shipping fish, I understood this to be true when using regular bags. However, when reading about using Kordon breather bags, the website said to fill those bags full of water, leaving no room for air to slosh around.

So does the amount of water and air left in the bag change, depending on whether you're using a regular plastic bag versus using a Kordon breather bag?

VickiStill running most of my tanks.

• 90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
                    • 75g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• 29g -
                   • 8g - Plants only
• 5g - Plants only                • 2.5g -
Retired
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
This may sound stupid but would a 'clip lock' water tight tub not do the trick they are like £1-£2 in england with bubble wrap for insulation in a cardboard box probably work out cheaper to just a thought
Marco
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
I'm interested in this. When I was reading about shipping fish, I understood this to be true when using regular bags. However, when reading about using Kordon breather bags, the website said to fill those bags full of water, leaving no room for air to slosh around.

So does the amount of water and air left in the bag change, depending on whether you're using a regular plastic bag versus using a Kordon breather bag?
My understanding of the Kordon breather bags, is that they allow air to pass through the bag itself, thus oxygenating the water. So, Kordon's don't need any air in them, tie them closed tight. This also prevents sloshing, and I've heard makes it easier on the fish for the ride. Not sure if thats true or not, but I've always had excellent luck receiving fish shipped in Kordons.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've not used the Kordon bag as my shipping is pretty limited and I don't want a second supply on hand. That is what I understand from reading about them.

I would not trust a hard sided item like a box. Packages have a way of getting mashed now and then and a solid box might break open to spill the water and the fish are more prone to getting hurt in solid boxes rather than a bag which has some give to it. I just got a bag of dry ferts and I sure am glad it didn't have fish in it. It must have been run over by a truck!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 02:43 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Okay, thanks for clarifying that.

One other suggestion I'd like to offer for shipping fish is to not pack too many in a single bag. If you're shipping a lot of fish, you can minimize your losses by splitting them up into more than one bag. That way if one bag does go bad for some reason, you only lose the fish in that bag, not the entire shipment of fish.

VickiStill running most of my tanks.

• 90g -
                    • 75g -

• 29g -
                   • 8g - Plants only
• 5g - Plants only                • 2.5g -
Retired
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have been thinking about getting some kordon breather bags because at some point I'm prolly going to be shipping some shirmp out (although not high grade but my tank is getting a little packed)

But now I'm wondering if I need to leave some air in them or just to fill them up with water. The one time I ordered shrimp they had air in the bag but very little.

So how many fish per bag??? The fish I'm thinking about shipping would be 1 to 2 inches long. I'm thinking 4 to 5 a bag would be a good deal????

also should I you something other then prime??? like a stress coat or something to that effect???

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode