Tank sitter advice. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank sitter advice.

I coaxed a friend of mine to house sit for us while away for 15 days starting next week. I don't expect him to take care of water changes just daily feeding of fish and dosing ferts. Since the tank will not be getting a weekly water change I'm afraid of how much ferts to premix for him.

My regular fert schedule consists of 1/8 tsp Kno3, 1/8tsp K+ day one. 8ml csm+B day two and so on to a 50% weekly WC.

What I was thinking of doing since there is supposed to be two WC's that will not be done is premix 1/4 Kno3 and 1/4tsp K+ and have the sitter dose this at the beginning of week 1. The day after dose 16ml csm+B and that is all for week 1. Continue this 1/4 Kno3, 1/4 K+, 16ml csm+B at the beginning of the second week and that is all for week 2.

This would be easy for the sitter to remember to dose only four times instead of trusting them to dose daily. With the lack of water changes going on I hope this is enough to prevent an algae outbreak and not too much that it would build up with out WCs.

What holes do you see in this plan? Anything I should reconsider?

ernest

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 12:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Sounds ok to me. You could turn down the lights if that's possible.

I was fortunate to have a roommate when I was in ATL that dumped in my EI premixes for each day I was out of town. But, then again I wasn't gone for more than a week.

If your buddy is coming every day to feed the fish, you could make up a batch of mini bottles like I did premixed in water and labeled...then he/she can just dump it in. I just used the "travel" bottles you can find at walmart or target and labeled them mon, tue, etc.

Re-boot!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadawgger
If your buddy is coming every day to feed the fish, you could make up a batch of mini bottles like I did premixed in water and labeled...then he/she can just dump it in. I just used the "travel" bottles you can find at walmart or target and labeled them mon, tue, etc.
I could have him dose daily but I'm afraid of build up since there will not be any water changes for those 15 days. I was just hoping that some ferts at the beginning of each week and then the plants use it up, start over the next week.

ernest

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadawgger
You could turn down the lights if that's possible.
I have lights on 10hr schedule. What would you reduce that to?

ernest

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Maybe bring it down to 8 hr days?

As far as buildup...You could always tell your sitter to skip the weekend completely (both Sat and Sunday)...then back to micro on monday, etc.

Shoot...you could always try emailing Greg Watson...I remember he said he went on vacation a lot.

Re-boot!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode