the no more tanks tank! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
the no more tanks tank!

I've been thinking about what tank would make me stop wanting to buy more tanks, but I realized that buying another tank is buying another tank, not not buying another tank. Sort of like when the girlfriend goes clothes shopping and comes back with the reciept and says " look I saved $500", yeah and you only had to drop a grand to do it!

Anyway, just for kicks. What is the set up that would keep you happy scaping and rescaping instead of constantly looking to upgrade?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 07:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
people are greedy monsters... always want more!

I have a 125 now and its still not big enough.
Also have 2x75, 40, 6x20, 4x10 and 2x5...

I want more and bigger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

What I see as the limiting factor for me isn't so much money or space, it's how much time do I want to spend working on tanks. Personally, I'd rather have a few tanks that look really good verses a lot of tanks that look only fair.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

personally i would adore a 120-P or even something with more depth.

that being said i have a 75, 57, 20, 18, 15, 5 x 10
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
i would be perfectly content with a 75 gallon right now. decent depth, good width. enough that i could have a good various assorment of plants and hardscape and pleny of room for a good school of dwarf rainbowfish to swim all day

Sump Pimp #7

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I'd go with a 55 or a 75, seems like a good dimension and enough room for my needs, just have to get the wife to approve

|
| Fraternity of Dirt #120
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Got 2 75's and a 125 and I want another 125. I THINK then I would be set!

Probably not...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
I have a 40 breeder that has kept me content for a little over a year. I am in the process of building a stand in anticipation for a move up to a 75 in the next month or so. So the new 75 should keep me busy for another year or so from now. I think after the 75 runs its course, I will be 100% content when i have upgraded to any tank with a length of 72" and minimum height and width of 18". That size would be my ultimate personal goal.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Saddletramp

PTrader: (4/100%)
An ultimate planted tank would be a 125 gallon tank that is six feet long. It has a profile making it great for aqua scaping.
Once you get into something over 100 g, there is no turning back, if you have the space.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have a 57 Gallon 36x21x18 Oceanic. I wouldn't mind setting up my unused 20 long for a grow out tank. No aqua scaping, plants planted in pots or bowls. I don't have the urge or time to spend truly maintaining another tank. I think when you admire your work after the trim, cleaning and water change of one tank and then look in the other corner and go, oh now I have to work on the other one...., it becomes work and less fun. Then I'm thinking of a bike ride.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Been there done that and now I'm cutting way back. When the work and effort begins to become a job, I quit. With me it was a matter of how to deal with all the fish I was getting. Selling fish from the house is normally a fun deal but then the idiots start showing up. No matter how good the deal they want more, so I quit!

I'm now doing four tanks and plan to cut back to two-three.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Having a kid was definitely the thing that kept me from building too many tanks. (In fact, initially I got rid of everything I own). Back to one simple tank.

My "one tank" would ideally be a long, low tank that's low maintenance.... someday...
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have a 2, 10, 40, 46, and 125 now. What I really want is an acrylic 180 with sump, built in over flows, and a canopy and stand. At first I wanted the 210 but I think it's too deep. I would have to get in the tank to clean the bottom (I'm only 5'2") After graduates school we plan on buying a larger house, and I would wait till then to buy this tank.

46 Bow Front Planted
Eheim 2217 & 2236, 2-39wt T5 bulbs (10,000), 72-75*
Pristella tetras, cardinal tetra, amano shirmp, bamboo shrimp, nerite snails, assassin snails and red cherry shrimp.

My tank:

-Mandy
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Ideally here is what I would have, money and space no object.
29 amazon community tank (have this already)
40 breeder asian/pacific realm tank (have a 37 acrylic, this is just a matter of switch tanks)
40 or 75 north american native (don't have space for either of these)
10 or 20 tall paludarium/riparium (I have a 10 sitting empty, would have to come up with a place to put it and get the wife's permission to set up another tank)
2 shrimp bowls (have these already)
1.5 gallon betta tank (have this already)

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If I answer my own question, I am looking for basically 3 or 4 water loops, but I tend to try to upgrade all the time.

Harder cooler water for cories, rasboras and rainbows. This is probably a longer tank.
A shrimp tank.
A warm soft water tank for south American chiclids, schooling tetras, and loaches. I get mixed reviews on the necessary tank height, but it neems like 18" minimum for angels, 21" for discus, and 30" for altums.

I'd also like to run an aquaponics system, but this can easily be combined with the rainbow tank since they're hardy and the parameter ranges have a broad overlap. I've actually done this before, and have a current project that is being abused. If I ever get a backyard big enough in socal, I'll do a pond with a greenhouse filter.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode