Anyone ever made Seachem Flourite Plant Substrate pillows/pouches? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Anyone ever made Seachem Flourite Plant Substrate pillows/pouches?

Ever since I switched from flourite substrate to sand, my plants have not been what they once were. I also am adding plants to my cichlid tank that has sand substrate. Has anyone ever made small, maybe 4x4" pillows stuffed with flourite so the plants have something to hold on to and get nutrients from that could be just tucked under the sand?

46 Bow Front Planted
Eheim 2217 & 2236, 2-39wt T5 bulbs (10,000), 72-75*
Pristella tetras, cardinal tetra, amano shirmp, bamboo shrimp, nerite snails, assassin snails and red cherry shrimp.

My tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Mandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sounds like an idea that would do some good things but I might see some problems as well.
I have sand and I would like to keep it looking nice and clean without the Flourite scattered around. A pillow would do that for a time.

But then I find that most fabric breaks down pretty quickly. I use nylon wedding veil for various things like DIY nets and dividers and even though it is nylon, it requires replacement. I've not done it but I think the pillow will break open and be scattered around as the fish dig.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
sand has a horrible CEC. it cannot hold onto nutrients at all
flourite has no available nutrients in it.
so flourite onl works because it can store nutrients that are put into the ank, whether is frm feeding or tap water. plus its larger grain sizes allow more water movement

i'd try laying flourite down as a base if that's what u want, and then cover it with window screening. it will still have some sand go down into it, but it won't come up and wont mix with the sand

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Or you know.. just use root tabs.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have been using nylon sacks for years.
I use organic nutrient rich products instead of Flourite, it's not for everybody.
Layer the nylon over as many times as you can and it helps keep the contents in the sack.
I seal the sack gently with a black zip tie and I put a few short airline hoses around the plant base to space the seal a little better. Most often those airlines are removed or trimmed immediately after tieing the bag.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I would just use root tabs, but I'm getting a bunch of jungle Val for my cichlid tank, I had a rank full of it but when I switched to sand it all died dispite adding root tabs. I figured using some sort of pouch would give something for it to grab on and the cichlids would not be able to dig it up making an ugly mess of sand and fluorite.

46 Bow Front Planted
Eheim 2217 & 2236, 2-39wt T5 bulbs (10,000), 72-75*
Pristella tetras, cardinal tetra, amano shirmp, bamboo shrimp, nerite snails, assassin snails and red cherry shrimp.

My tank:

-Mandy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Root tabs are great for adding a little nutrients to the root that actually touches the tab, but what about the others? Starved little roots.

I prefer to surround all of the roots with a healthy growing medium.

Whatever works for ya.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode