Carpeting question- Please Help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Carpeting question- Please Help!

I de-rimmed a ten gallon and set it up with a dual lamp 18'' fixture running a 6,000k and a pink roseatte, coming together for a total of like 35 watts. My other plants are doing great, but my dwarf hairgrass is not growing at all, its been all set up for a month and a half to two months. I am also running DIY Co2 and dosing with Flourish every week.

With all this said, the only thing that seems to be growing on the ground is a nasty green layer of algae.

If someone could give me any advice on what to do it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-Ethan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Which Flourish product are you using? What are the active ingredients?

The Flourish line of products is set up to be used together. Any one by itself is not a complete fertilizer. They make each fertilizer in a different bottle so you can customize your dosing to suit the tank.

What substrate are you using? Any fertilizer tablets?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 12:29 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Subtrate is your problem. Not enough nutrient. And flourish excel is the same thing as co2. You probably need the buy either liquid or dry fertilizer.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Seachem flourish is a micro nutrient supply, but if that is all you are dosing you are missing the macros(NPK).
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 12:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

If you are running a dual T5HO, like the Current Nova Exreme 2 x 18 watt T5HO fixture, then you are high light. High light and co2 means you should probably be dosing nitrogen, phosphates and potassium as well as the Flourish. Have you tested your Nitrates and Phosphates?

Standard 10 Gallon (20 x12x12).
Low tech, Sand substrate.
Eheim 2211, and Aqueon Quietflow 10.
Finnex Stingray LED, 20" above substrate
2 Anubias Nana Petite, Christmas moss.
4 Halequin Rasborahs, 5 RCS.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for all the responses. The substrate i am using is a mixture of black flourite sand and i think something called eco-subrate. I'm not using root tabs but i was to understand that hair grass doesnt benifit much from root tabs.
I will however take yalls advice and dose with other nutrients other than just the excell
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

can someone tell me why im getting algae so bad on the bottom still? it makes a full thick carpet that i litterally have to peel back every other week
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I grew a dhg carpet in ecocomplete about a year ago. You need to keep it mowed short in order for it to spread. I also had a bunch of osmocote root tabs in there along with a lot of co2.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thank you xmas_one.

after a little more research, i discovered my 'algae' problem is really cyanobacteria and i am now trying to rid it with chemiclean
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You have high light and almost no nutrients for the plants. That is how to grow all species of algae. You may not be able to avoid algae with the light you have - I'm assuming you have a Coralife T5HO light, with two bulbs. That isn't the greatest light fixture you could get, but it is only about 10 inches from the substrate, so you have to have very high light.

You could put two layers of Home Depot fiberglass window "insect screen" between the light and the tank, reducing the light intensity by 64%. That might be enough of a reduction so you stand a chance against algae.

Then clean up the tank as well as you can. Remove all of the algae you find. Start dosing with Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Potassium, F. Phosphorous, and Flourish Comprehensive at about twice the dosages recommended on the bottles. And, keep the light on for no longer than 8 hours a day, preferably about 6 hours.

Make sure you are getting your DIY CO2 dissolved in the water. One good and easy way to do that is to make a diffuser as shown here, https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...10&postcount=2 using a Hagen Elite filter: http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Elite-Un.../dp/B0009YD7D4

If the algae comes right back, you may want to put another layer of window screen between the light and the tank.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode