Sometimes this hobby makes me feel like a rube :) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Sometimes this hobby makes me feel like a rube :)

Just stepped back and realized that in one day I paid $30 for a rock I may or may not use (red lava rock bigger than my head at a garden center near here, will have to break up), then turned around and paid $90 to have 'special' dirt delivered to my house in little bags (Eco-complete from petsmart, 17.99 and free shipping)

I'm almost afraid to go shopping for driftwood!

As Bugs would say, "What a maroon"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Check out these 2 sites for some cheap manzanita

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/branches2.html
http://www.bloomsandbranches.com/

Has to be an order of 2 I believe on the sites, but still cheap!

Pics of the wood in this thread from someone who purchased some

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Eco-complete keeps all you're choices in the rock category so far.
No 'special' dirt in EC just rock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
Eco-complete keeps all you're choices in the rock category so far.
No 'special' dirt in EC just rock.
you know its funny. i got into an argument with someone on youtube(of all places!) over eco-complete. I explained to him that it is basically inert. and he proceeded to rant to me that it has "nutrients" and it is all right there, listed on the bag! It is amazing the amount of dis-information there is out there on the net. Apparently he has alot of subscribers! no wonder there are so many who are mis-informed in the hobby. you can do a very easy google search on what is NOT in it...lol!

ohh and he also calle dit "HIGH TECH SUBSTRATE" ahahahah!!!

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

My understand was it is inert but can absorb and release nutrients in/dosed into the water, and that it was porous and that is good for beneficial bacteria to grow

Am I close?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady33 View Post
My understand was it is inert but can absorb and release nutrients in/dosed into the water, and that it was porous and that is good for beneficial bacteria to grow

Am I close?
YES! thats exactly what I explained but he seemed to think it was like aquasoil...

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

Am I close?
sounds like you got it right.
I'm not a fan but it's a safe off the shelf product for somebody starting out.

2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
sounds like you got it right.
I'm not a fan but it's a safe off the shelf product for somebody starting out.
Safe and good looking for first try - that's what I was going for
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
ohh and he also calle dit "HIGH TECH SUBSTRATE" ahahahah!!!
Believe I stumbled into that verbage awhile back. \

jbrady33, just be sure to back that choice up with a few well placed root tablet ferts and you should be good to go. I have several tanks going with inert substrate and just add tabs on a 3 month schedule. Works out pretty good. If you like moving things around it's a better choice than dirt and cap (less mess).

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:

I'm almost afraid to go shopping for driftwood!
Don't, collect your own. It's part of the excitement and saves you money.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
Don't, collect your own. It's part of the excitement and saves you money.
man if i was anywhere near some areas of driftwood that were okay to use. i'd be all over it

makes me wanna plan a trip to the western states were manzanita is common enough and we all know its safe to use

Sump Pimp #7

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
man if i was anywhere near some areas of driftwood that were okay to use. i'd be all over it

makes me wanna plan a trip to the western states were manzanita is common enough and we all know its safe to use
You have appropriate wood all around you in Chattanooga. Oak and maple to name a couple. Just got to get out of the city and into the woods or walk around a park after a windy storm. Should be able to find some downed branches.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
You have appropriate wood all around you in Chattanooga. Oak and maple to name a couple. Just got to get out of the city and into the woods or walk around a park after a windy storm. Should be able to find some downed branches.
true true.

Sump Pimp #7

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 11:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Imagine. Going through airport security x-ray.. hey why are these sutcases full of trees? She's going to light plane on fire, security!
Haha
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to bucilini
Browsing craigslist one day and i stumble upon a 55 gallon tank for $25 bucks. WOW what a deal..... $700 later and not yet done, still have to buy plants and fish. At least i'll enjoy it when its finished. Things add up quickly in any hobby.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode