Hi :) all new here :L - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile Hi :) all new here :L

Hello everyone

just come on here to hopefully get some advice before i take my next steps into aquatics. First thread so i'll start off introducing myself, and then add my questions at the end .

So im currently 15, student in Lincolnshire and ive cared and researched for fish for almost 10 years now. Ive kept coldwater fancy goldfish to tropical fish such as tetras and corys. Id like to take another step into aquascaping and upgrading my current 15 gallon setup. Ive been interested in fish and i have always been interested in marine biology and the coral reefs and amazonian rivers. So thats about me, now to the questions :L

Im currently in the process of looking to start a new setup. Ive just had a quote for a new aquarium that is 40" x 16" x 18" with sliders, which i plan to place onto an aquarium. but i have a few questions, i'll list them below for to make life easier :L

1.) Average setup for plants. My aims are to put either a t8 or t5 light unit above, with an external filter. But im thinking about the substrate and plants. I plan to get my rocks from a location in Wales i will soon be visiting, as there are some great sized pieces that ive used previously in my aquariums with no problems. I also plan to use soil for substrate and sand i already have for my old aquarium. But how much would plants cost to carpet most of the aquarium?

2.) co2, nessecary or not?

3.) do i really need rodi? what restictions will it give me?

4.) I like this design, but am i being too ambitious?

I like Cliff Hui's designs, and would like to try and follow his style

So thats it so far, any answers would be really appriciated

Thanks alot
Mike

Ps: let me know if the photo does work, will tweak it ;L aha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 08:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

Opinions vary. Mine is this. I think, if you really want to create an aquarium like that, it is going to have to be a medium/high light aquarium, with co2 injection, and EI dosed fertelizers.

Here are a couple of threads that will help give you the understanding you need to choose the right kind of light:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=105774
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=160396

Here is a thread on fertilizer dosing:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21944

Those will get you started on understanding hi-tech aquariums.

Spending some time on the "algae" forum will help you understand what can cause you algae problems:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Welcome to the forum.

Standard 10 Gallon (20 x12x12).
Low tech, Sand substrate.
Eheim 2211, and Aqueon Quietflow 10.
Finnex Stingray LED, 20" above substrate
2 Anubias Nana Petite, Christmas moss.
4 Halequin Rasborahs, 5 RCS.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks alot, will take a look at the links youve given me, and no dowt i will have more questions :L, But i might aswell ask now, what lighting options do i have? I dont really want to spend alot on lighting, as i dont plan to grow any tall plants, just carpet planting with the occasional ones creeping up slightly. Any ideas?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie
Hello Michael,

Welcome to the forum. Planted aquariums are awesome, but there is a lot to learn about them too!

A 50g is an admirable size to start with. In fact, this will work to your advantage because sudden problems don't seem to affect bigger tanks like they do smaller ones!

However, there are a few things to keep in mind:

1. A single, or even double T5 will not be enough light for a 18" tall tank. I'd highly advise you look into a single bulb T5HO fixture. Hagen GLO is a good one. LED's are also an option if you are willing to spend the dough. Canisters are a great choice, and I would look into the AquaTop CF-500UV (also known as the SunSun HW-404B, and many other names, they all look the same, perform the same, etc) Plants don't cost a ton, but when you start to kill them off it will get expensive. Getting all the right equipment for them is more important than worrying on plant costs. Btw, use Livingston John Inness #3 as your soil

2. CO2, while not "necessary" is necessary for life. The amount of co2 available to the plants will drive how much light and fertilizers they need. This in turn will be the defining line between flourishing, quick growth, and stunted, slow growth. If money is an issue for CO2, as I know you are only 15 and CO2 equipment can be quite expensive, its very feasible to set up a DIY CO2 system thats elaborate enough for a 50g. It may take work, but it is worth it for the health of your plants! On this same note, you will need to dose fertilizers. Dry fertilizers are your best bet, for sure.

3. No, you do not need RO. RO simply lets the aquarist precisely control the quality of their water, for example, keeping Discus, etc.

4. No such thing as being too ambitious. Work towards that goal, you may never reach that quality of a tank, but you will LEARN, have fun and can say you did all you could. Who knows, maybe one day you will have BETTER tanks!! This hobby is about using your imagination and creating anything your heart desires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
Hello everyone

just come on here to hopefully get some advice before i take my next steps into aquatics. First thread so i'll start off introducing myself, and then add my questions at the end .

So im currently 15, student in Lincolnshire and ive cared and researched for fish for almost 10 years now. Ive kept coldwater fancy goldfish to tropical fish such as tetras and corys. Id like to take another step into aquascaping and upgrading my current 15 gallon setup. Ive been interested in fish and i have always been interested in marine biology and the coral reefs and amazonian rivers. So thats about me, now to the questions :L

Im currently in the process of looking to start a new setup. Ive just had a quote for a new aquarium that is 40" x 16" x 18" with sliders, which i plan to place onto an aquarium. but i have a few questions, i'll list them below for to make life easier :L

1.) Average setup for plants. My aims are to put either a t8 or t5 light unit above, with an external filter. But im thinking about the substrate and plants. I plan to get my rocks from a location in Wales i will soon be visiting, as there are some great sized pieces that ive used previously in my aquariums with no problems. I also plan to use soil for substrate and sand i already have for my old aquarium. But how much would plants cost to carpet most of the aquarium?

2.) co2, nessecary or not?

3.) do i really need rodi? what restictions will it give me?

4.) I like this design, but am i being too ambitious?

I like Cliff Hui's designs, and would like to try and follow his style

So thats it so far, any answers would be really appriciated

Thanks alot
Mike

Ps: let me know if the photo does work, will tweak it ;L aha
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks alot,

Is it possible if you can send me a link to a light that you would recommend me please? as im not sure what you mean, sorry ;L, and i was thinking the old yeast and hot water trick for co2? apparently that works for a 50gal for 1.5 months?

Thanks
Mike
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Slight problem is that my aquarium will not have a canopy. It will have glass sliders, but no canopy, so how can i put lights on teh top, without buying a halide?

Cheers
Mike
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 10:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Yay another teen! welcome to the forum!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you can't wait to get started !
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
Thanks alot,

Is it possible if you can send me a link to a light that you would recommend me please? as im not sure what you mean, sorry ;L, and i was thinking the old yeast and hot water trick for co2? apparently that works for a 50gal for 1.5 months?

Thanks
Mike
Its OK not to have a canopy. In fact, many of us use no top whatsoever. Most aquarium lights have legs that grab onto the rim. Here is an example of a light that would work for you:

http://www.marineandreef.com/Hagen_G.../rhg13901b.htm

As for yeast and water, yes, this will work. But the recipe is yeast, sugar, water. There is quite a bit of info on DIY CO2 available in the DIY section of the forums. You will basically want to set up a 3-4 2L bottle set up for a 50g. I ran a 2 2L bottle set up for a 25g and it barely gave me adequate co2. However, this set up will NOT last you 1.5 months. At best, it will give you steady co2 for a week, and will need to be maintained regularly. For example, replace 1 bottle of mixture per week when doing water changes.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi,

Thanks alot, will take a look at the link. Ive just been told that someone has a 36" x 15" x 18" aquarium that they dont want anymore local, which hopefully means he wouldnt mind me taking it :L which would give me more money to spend on co2 and lighting. I was thinking of this lighting...

http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aq...two-bulbs.html

Would that do the trick of lighting a 18" Deep aquarium to allow me to plant and to grow carpet? Also, would it be worth buying the Marine rather than the tropical? can i grow plants under a marine light?

Thanks
Mike
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That light would suffice. It may even be too much light depending on how good the reflectors may be. But I don't think you will have a problem. You want tropical lights, probably. More specifically, 6500k bulbs. Marie bulbs are not good for plant growth. While the 10000k would work, the actinic light will just grow algae
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks alot, might invest in some tropical lights from them

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode