Fish gasping after WC - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fish gasping after WC

I have 2 guppies in an 8 gal and after every wc they gasp at the surface for about an hour. I age water for a week by the window because I read sunlight destablizes chloramine causing it to evaporate. I add bicarb to bring the KH up from 2 to 6, salt to bring the total to .8 tsp/5 gal, and half a dose of dechlor (probably not necessary but I'm paranoid especially with the gasping) before each wc. The fish don't gasp before wc (I do it in the morning right before lights on). Are they gasping because there's still chloramine in the water? low in O2? ph difference between the tank and wc water? maybe my tap water has high ammonia levels? Any iinput is appreciated

Yes! I snuggle with rats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 06:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Are you matching the temp of the water you are putting in? If it's been sitting by a window for a week and you change it in the morning it's probably quite cold. If you are putting it in just like that then they are probably in shock. Also if you are using any decent dechlorinator then you really don't need to age the water. In fact most people with pythons just add the declor into the half empyt tank then run directly from the tap and fill it up. I just started that and the fish were just fine (I match the temp with a digital thermometer though).
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
Have you ever washed the container with soap? If the water is sitting in the container for a long time.....some of the soap will enter the water from the glass.
jB

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 07:21 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StUk_In_AfRiKa
I have 2 guppies in an 8 gal and after every wc they gasp at the surface for about an hour. I age water for a week by the window because I read sunlight destablizes chloramine causing it to evaporate. I add bicarb to bring the KH up from 2 to 6, salt to bring the total to .8 tsp/5 gal, and half a dose of dechlor (probably not necessary but I'm paranoid especially with the gasping) before each wc. The fish don't gasp before wc (I do it in the morning right before lights on). Are they gasping because there's still chloramine in the water? low in O2? ph difference between the tank and wc water? maybe my tap water has high ammonia levels? Any iinput is appreciated
They're probably gasping because of low O2 levels. Aerate the water if your gonna let it sit. Aerating it will also get rid of the chlorine, and the sun will destabilize chloramine. I'm not sure about the amonia portion of the chloramine. A liitle chloramine buster and aeration is probably all you need to do. One week isn't necessary.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh yes sorry I forgot to mention that I do make sure the water is the same temp, but usually I have to wait for it to cool since the morning sun heats it up quite a bit (morning for me is 11 o'clock :P ) I age the water mainly because it's no trouble at all and I haven't been able to find a dechlor that specifically says it's also for chloramine (I don't have a big selection here... Tetra or some cheap stuff). The people at the fish store told me to use the dechlor and then some ammonia tablets but those things are expensive if used at every wc. I use those big drinking water bottles to store the water so there shouldn't be any chemicals in it. I guess it's probably lack of O2 and I'll aerate a while at the next wc and see how they react. Thanks everyone!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Can the folks at Aqua World order some Seachem Prime there?

It certainly would be on the menu of good de-clors...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
From Seachem:

Please contact : ROYAL AQUATICS (CAPETOWN)
TEL. 21 712 7563
[email protected]
This is our distributor in South Africa

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks jhoetzl. Royal Aquatics is far from me. I was just reading about it on another (SA) forum and it's somewhere near a city about an hour away. And the other place, Aqua World, it's probably a long shot but are you talking about Eco-Pets and Aquarium World? :P It's a pretty good lfs around here and next time I'm over there I'll ask about the Seachem.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode