Yellow, oily water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yellow, oily water?

I recently planted a nano tank with bronze crypt, micro sword, and anubias nana in Eco-complete. I got a redish piece of driftwood, boiled it to get the color out, and put it in the tank. It still bled color like crazy, so I I boiled it a few more times, it STILL bled, so I tossed it. However, a couple weeks later, the water is still discolored, it's very yellow. There's also an oily film coat on the surface of the water. I've been changing almost 50% water every single day, I'm worried that it will stress my plants. The color still won't go away regardless of how much I change the water. I'm using liquid Flourish ferts and Flourish Excel carbon. I have a mild brown algae problem, but nothing major.

No fish, just plants. I'm working on cycling it, but I'm not sure what the deal is with this yellow water. Here are the rough parameters of the water, as of my last water change this morning:

pH : 7
NO2 : 0
KH : 80
NO2 : 0
NO3 : 20

Any idea what's causing the oily surface and discoloration? Any ideas about how I can stop it? At first I suspected it was the driftwood, and the sap from the wood was causing the oily surface, but I took the driftwood out two weeks later and it's still just as bad.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
how much flourish comprehensive ad iron are u usuing? they can discolor the water decently

wood takes a while to stop releasing tannins. they are NOT harmful to plants or fish

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
I'm assuming it's surface scum (protein build up). I'm having the same issue in my tank as we speak. Here is a thread I started in the Algae section. Might be of some help. I've been told surface agitation will help get rid of it

The discolored water is tannins from your driftwood. It will go away over time, you just need to be patient. Water changes will help with this

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinycard255 View Post
Water changes will help with this
Also carbon is said to help.

The Fraternity of Dirt #144
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinycard255 View Post
I'm assuming it's surface scum (protein build up). I'm having the same issue in my tank as we speak. Here is a thread I started in the Algae section. Might be of some help. I've been told surface agitation will help get rid of it
Thanks for the link, I'll read more about it. I noticed that the area where my filter agitates the water surface is clear of the oil.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoskybound View Post
I noticed that the area where my filter agitates the water surface is clear of the oil.
Yup, exactly what I'm experiencing. Running an airstone at night will help, also less feeding will help. I do tend to overfeed my fish due to my angels being hogs, so I give more than needed and it sits on the bottom. HD made an awesome reply in that thread about excess food in the water column causing oily surface. Read into it.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestHaven View Post
Also carbon is said to help.
Carbon will work as well, yes, but so will Purigen

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 05:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The oil is most likely coming from the driftwood. That happens to me all the time with mopani wood. (You really notice when your just presoaking the wood in a bucket, after a week, its a thick, thick film.)

Surface agitation will help get rid of the oil film, but only in the areas being directly agitated in my experience.

Floating a paper towel on the surface of the water will absorb the oil and let you remove it.

Or you can ignore it, I dont think its harmfull at all in my experience, unless it gets so thick and covers so much of the surface that gas exchange cant take place.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode