What plants would ya suggest? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
I don't do this anymore

PTrader: (28/100%)
What plants would ya suggest?

Ok, I am now debating a few things. I give you a run down of my tank. It is a ten gallon betta tank with this light:
http://menards.com/main/lighting-fan...001-c-6356.htm
A paintball CO2 system (Just ordered), normal black sand substrate, and full EI dosings of needed macros and micros. The plants I have so far are all in the background of the tank, and they are: Wisteria, Ludwigia x Repens Arcuata, a bit of Green Cabomba, and Ambulia. Photoperiod is: Light goes on at 10:30 A.M., goes off and 12:30 P.M., back on at 3:30 P.M., and off for the night at 8.30. P.M. This complicated photoperiod is to keep hair algae at bay (See my other thread on "Nevermind... how do I get rid of hair algae?"). So here's my question:

What plants would look good/cool with this set up? I was thinking a carpet of something and another plant to put on the DW in there (Forgot to mention my driftwood... lol), but I want more than two more plants in there! Any ideas?

Just throwing it out there, I'm relatively new to planted tanks, so don't go recommending those super hard - impossible plants that only experts can keep please. Thank you for any help, ideas, questions, comments, or criticisms you can give to HELP me!

No matter how hard you try, you cannot escape this hobby. You have been warned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 03:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I would go with Anubias nana or A. nana 'Petit' on the wood and Marsilea for a foreground. Then you can let the stems grow tall and shade the tank without worrying about the mid and foreground getting too much shade. Bettas look great lurking through a jungle and the Anubias roots add to that effect. Bolbitis, regular, trident and Narrow leaved Java ferns grow too large for a 10 gallon tank but you could try moss on the wood if you like. A smaller crypt is never a bad choice either. Just buy a cheaper one as those are the ones that come back after melting.

These are all easy plants but they aren't the fastest growing ones. Since you are adding CO2 and NPK+micros they will grow nice and clean for you though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

28 Lakeside, Hobbiton
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
I don't do this anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
I would go with Anubias nana or A. nana 'Petit' on the wood and Marsilea for a foreground. Then you can let the stems grow tall and shade the tank without worrying about the mid and foreground getting too much shade. Bettas look great lurking through a jungle and the Anubias roots add to that effect. Bolbitis, regular, trident and Narrow leaved Java ferns grow too large for a 10 gallon tank but you could try moss on the wood if you like. A smaller crypt is never a bad choice either. Just buy a cheaper one as those are the ones that come back after melting.

These are all easy plants but they aren't the fastest growing ones. Since you are adding CO2 and NPK+micros they will grow nice and clean for you though.
Hmmm! Not a bad idea! A friend of mine probably could cut me a good deal on Marsilea Minuta, and Anubias Nana shouldn't be too hard to find... I may get a Crypt Wendtii too.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
I don't do this anymore

And remember, I still take suggestions....

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 04:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Where did you buy your paintball CO2 system? I'm currently looking, thanks.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
I don't do this anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergvolk View Post
Where did you buy your paintball CO2 system? I'm currently looking, thanks.
I posted a wanted ad for one. I got one with an ASA valve, needle valve, tank gauge, CO2 tubing, O-Rings, CO2 diffuser, plastic check valves, and bubble counter for $33.00 shipped, so just look around and you'll find a good deal.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode