What is this strange creature.......... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
What is this strange creature..........

sorry about the poor quality image it is tucked away right at the back of the tank and do not have anything to light it enough. I will get a better pic asap.

I bought the tank second hand and it has been run down, obviously had a small amount of water in it still in the weir area etc, I cleaned the tank and have it running with tap water to flush out the pipe work etc.

This strange thing has been making its way up the glass since yesterday and looks like some sort of strange slug thing, in over 10 years and working with 100's of freshwater tanks I have never seen anything like it!

I know the tank was a freshwater setup before purchased for a year and marine for 2 years before

Last edited by sewingalot; 07-15-2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: don't use language acronyms, please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Planted Member

Maybe a turbellarian flatworm? (Edited to add: I didn't realize are hundreds of turbellarians, so that isn't very helpful lol).

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Great thanks! does seem to be one of those. A quick google shows they are also found in Africa which would tie in with the tank last being used for Malawi's.

Guess I will be running some treatments through the tank to kill off anything like this that may be hidden away in the pipework etc.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I always like to start from a known situation when setting up a new tank. I find there are all kinds of questions when starting and I like to have a definite idea of what I have to cut down the possible surprises.
The easy way to know what you have in the tank is to throughly clean it . A simple bleach water filling, soak and draining resets all the things that might be in the tank.
I just feel better about not having the unknown suddenly show up, whether it is live things, oil or pesticide, I want it gone!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Bleach......... I will use some pond treatments meth blue and formaldehyde should do the job I think.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Bleach is fine to use. I do it all the time among other chemicals I might use. Like Scrubbing Bubbles (freakin great stuff, just rinse well)

Just do a double soak with Prime.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
I have had tons of flatworms in my tanks. No need to bleach or sterilize. They pose no threat. They only feed on garbage, decaying organics. If there is nothing for them to feed on, they will die off. Larger fish will eat them. Aquatic Flatworms are found everywhere in the world

Robert Paul Hudson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If bleach is used before the fish are added it is quite safe. Since chlorine is by nature a gas, it will blow away as things dry. That's why you smell chlorine when you get around a pool or spa. It is coming out of solution and blowing away. Before chloramine treatment, it was quite common to just let water set before adding it to the tank. That gave the chlorine time to dissipate. Chloramine stays longer which is part of the reason it is used more now by the large companies who can afford the change. Small water suppliers still use bleach as it is cheap and easy.
The problem with the other treatments you mention is that they may kill all the good bacteria and you will need to recycle the tank. Watch for that.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode