GE silicone 1 everyone says safe for aquariums... but how come the bottle doesnt? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Exclamation GE silicone 1 everyone says safe for aquariums... but how come the bottle doesnt?

So everyone has recommend he I silicone to attatch driftwood, its nice because I used four bottles and it saved me $$$ but I just read the back (not the smartest hobbiest) and it says not for use in aquariums, is this for legal purposes or is it not safe??? Now I'm worried

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Algae Grower

Marketing. It is the exact same formula and compound from the same manufacturing plant. May not have the same inspection on packaging that would be required for aquarium use, but I had just seen that speculated while the rest was confirmed by a GE chemical engineer.

In short, seal on dear aquarist! Have no fear.

And show us what you're working on
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

Every bottle of silicone says that...
Even my bottles of locktite and aqueon silicone that had AQUARIUM SAFE and like phrases plastered all over the package says not intend for use in aquariums on the back in the fine print...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have to ask: What did you use 4 tubes of silicone for? That just sounds like a lot of silicone.

What the marketing jargon doesn't stress is that it's a "sealant", not a true adhesive. It does in fact do lots of things very well. But I wouldn't re-seal / re-assemble a tank bigger than a 20G with it. There are different types of silicones out there and they have tensile test ratings that are wildly different.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Yet it has been used for years to reseal large tanks with no issues. there may be better adhesives these days, espescially for rimless applications but geI will work fine.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
I have to ask: What did you use 4 tubes of silicone for? That just sounds like a lot of silicone.

What the marketing jargon doesn't stress is that it's a "sealant", not a true adhesive. It does in fact do lots of things very well. But I wouldn't re-seal / re-assemble a tank bigger than a 20G with it. There are different types of silicones out there and they have tensile test ratings that are wildly different.
thanks guys, i feel better now and i went through 4 tubes on sealing slate for weighing down driftwood, slate rock caves, and attaching the actual driftwood peices, i will post pics in my threads if you want to see, updating today sometime

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Liability. If they don't put it and you use it and make your own 500 gallon tank and it busts open and leaks and floods your house and causes 5k in damage, they aren't liable because it says on the label.

Same reason they have to put warnings like don't use your toaster in the tub.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode