Planted Tank trades can save some bread! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Planted Tank trades can save some bread!

Well, for some weeks I have been trading plants like extra echinodorus parvifloris (compacta sword), water lettuce, wisteria, alternanthera reineckii, egeria, rotalla indica, asian ambulia etc. to a LFS who likes it to sell or feed his massive cichlid population as he is a breeder. This is stuff I probably would have to throw in the compost pile otherwise.

We never talk about money, he just says he'll cut me some deals on fish, tanks, or driftwood...and he always has. Today I got three bosemani and three turquoise rainbowfish and he threw in a nice mickeymouse platy for $25.00. He sold me a 50 gallon tank some weeks past for at least $40 less than the other local fish stores and took a nice trade on a used 29 gallon with stand. So the 50 gallon cost me less than $35.00. So, the long and short is, its sure nice to strike up a friendly relationship with a good LFS. Its good for him and good for us. Next, I 'm going to make him a reactor, talk him into popping for a regulator and tank, and get him some PMDD store ferts!

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 03:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Yea, I would love to get that type of relationship started but I have to get the LFS closest to my house on board. Slow process. Glad to hear that you have it going strong!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Yeah, I can understand the "slow process" part. There is another more established store which would never trade like the one I mentioned. Its all in the personality of the owner. As it stands, this guy is truly a "fish head". He is more into taking good care of his fish, and his customers for that matter, than just the making money part. Makes me respect and like him that much more. And it makes his customers more loyal too. I think he ordered the rainbowfish because I expressed an interest, fwiw. bob

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 09:26 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a relationship like that with an LFS. I eat dinner over at their hosue and such quite often and go fishing with them. So far they have jsut given me a few fluvals, cut me huge breaks on their old used aquariums and give me a 20% discount. Like you said the owner is a true fish guy and has refused to seel certain fish to people because he believes that they wouldn't be able to treat the fish well. I'm very happy to have found a store like this after going into so many and seeing dead fish, etc in the tanks. Hope everyone can do the same.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 05:32 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I too have a relationship like that with my LFS. In past two years I have traded for plants for a 36gal bow, 30gal, 20gal and a 15gal. I got at cost 75gal, 20gal, and one more 15gal. I can't count the deals on plants and fish as well as aquarium room supplies. Its great to have a LFS that appreciates that time and work that one spends on quality plant tanks.

Hawk
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 03:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have been know to travel for good stores... Keep it going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess
Yeah, I can understand the "slow process" part. There is another more established store which would never trade like the one I mentioned. Its all in the personality of the owner. As it stands, this guy is truly a "fish head". He is more into taking good care of his fish, and his customers for that matter, than just the making money part. Makes me respect and like him that much more. And it makes his customers more loyal too. I think he ordered the rainbowfish because I expressed an interest, fwiw. bob

Moved to Tucson.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Great deals are nice aren't they!! My LFS when I was in Atlanta actually said they couldn't take more of my plants since I was bringing them so much so frequently that they were getting backlogged and couldn't sell them fast enough!! They gave me over $100 store credit through the months and gave me my current 65g tank with stand for $100.

Re-boot!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 01:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I get huge discounts on everything or just free at mine... Shoot i get stuff cheaper than i can over the net
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 02:41 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
My LFS gives me great store credit on the plants I bring him. The only problem is his tanks are not really set up to keep plants alive for very long. I get a guilty conscience selling him stuff that won't survive long enough for him to sell. He's also a great fish guy, but he just doesn't get the plant thing. I've even offered to set up a display tank for him and teach him how to take care of it, I think his ego is gettin in the way.

Marcel
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (84/100%)
Georgiadawgger,

I see that you moved here in my area Let me know if you find a great & reliable LFS. The ones here in Alexandria doesn't care much or maybe its my color (asian) as I don't get the same treatment as they give to somebody else. I give them plants & fishes for free without asking for credit(w/c sells fast & expensive).

-Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FILSTAR#88
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 10:25 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggawam
I have a relationship like that with an LFS. I eat dinner over at their hosue and such quite often and go fishing with them. So far they have jsut given me a few fluvals, cut me huge breaks on their old used aquariums and give me a 20% discount. Like you said the owner is a true fish guy and has refused to seel certain fish to people because he believes that they wouldn't be able to treat the fish well. I'm very happy to have found a store like this after going into so many and seeing dead fish, etc in the tanks. Hope everyone can do the same.
I see you are in LA, which store is this? I am in Orange County but I have a hell of a time finding a good fishstore.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 11:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgssamson
Georgiadawgger,

I see that you moved here in my area Let me know if you find a great & reliable LFS. The ones here in Alexandria doesn't care much or maybe its my color (asian) as I don't get the same treatment as they give to somebody else. I give them plants & fishes for free without asking for credit(w/c sells fast & expensive).

-Brian

Hey Brian,

I suppose you're talking about Wallys? That's really the only half-way decent store I've been to around this area. Unless you know of another. The treatment you got (get) is pretty disrespectful since our area has such a large asian population. The only really good store I go to is Aquarium Center...its worth the drive to me. They told me they'd work out a credit system for plant trades. Maybe give them a ring.

Re-boot!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode