My Progess / How can it improve - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Progess / How can it improve

This is the progress from my tank .. day 1 to present

Ignore scaping.. im not at all interested in that yet.. I just want opinions on growth/speed.. considering this is a high tech , high light tank

I'm going to follow this up (tomarrow) by posting as many parameters as I possibly can, in an effort to get some advice on how to possibly improve

First picture May18

May 26

Today.. june 11

One thing that saddens me.. is that the diadre seems to have REALLY slowed down after the first couple weeks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 03:58 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
It's getting there...hopefully so am I

Jay-
It's looking good. The plants that have been left alone seem to now be thriving. I just started my 42 gal(24Lx20Wx20T) 6 weeks ago. The two links below show where it was 4 weeks ago and where it was early this past week. I notice you've added rainbows, I now have 4 Dwarf Neons(Praecox) and love them. Would like to know if you have ever tried your filter intake at one side of the aquarium and the spraybar at the other as I have. Just wondering if it makes a diff. since I'm new to this stuff(First tank I've had in 16 yrs). I can say I've noticed a diff after adding DIY CO2 two wks ago.

http://www.imagehosting.us/imagehost...jpg/?id=518046

http://www.imagehosting.us/imagehost...jpg/?id=518061
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Lookin good.. Ive actually been contimplating a spraybar move.. cause right now I have it in the back blowing forward , and its blowing alot of particles/air bubbles right into the main viewing area, which is slightly unpleasant

I may move the spraybar down closer to the substrate or vertically by the heater

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Things look good Jay!

I think the key is in your title, progress.

I believe a beautiful aquarium is a progression of ideas as well as plants. Your thoughts about how to hardscape and layout plants is going to evolve as are the types of plants you select. That will start to change as you gain in experience. You'll look at other aquariums and pick up ideas that you like, and you'll start to incorporate that into your own aquarium.

We could say, do this and do that, but then it would become our aquarium as opposed to yours!

However, just to point you into a direction I might take, I'd look into adding some sort of background to the aquarium. That will eliminate the distraction of the tubing. Doing that will really make an impact instantly.

Just take your time with it. Enjoy the process of learning and experimenting! Looks to me like you are definitely going to get it!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 04:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I think it looks good...patience is the key...once things get even more settled in you should see a massive growth spurt. You could space out your stems a bit more. Plant them in groups of 2-3 stems and each "mini bunch" about an inch apart...then you should see they'll eventually fill in the gaps with side shoots, etc.

One minor suggestion...a background? I just use a black background you can find at any LFS...blue would look good too.

Re-boot!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Yeah Ive been planning on putting a background there for ages, I REALLY need to get around to doing that

Im going to try spacing things out a little next waterchange like you said.. cause I really want til fill in those huge gaps to the left and right of that little chunk of plants

question though.. can someone ID the prominent green leafy stem plant thats to the left of the diandre?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 03:31 AM
Algae Grower

Thanks

I appreciate the encouragement. I also like any input, as I love to garden and all gardeners bring a unique perspective to learn from. I too need to add a backdrop, can't decide on blue or black. I saw a bouble sided one at an LFS (I've been to a few lately) I need to figure out where that was so I don't waste too much plant money! Good luck!
-Ben
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 03:34 AM
Algae Grower

Misspelling

Sorry, that was supposed to be "double-sided" not "bouble sided"....What was I drinkin(uh, thinkin)!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode