Converting ozelot sword to emersed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)
Converting ozelot sword to emersed

I'm going to try to convert a HUGE ozelot sword to emersed. The plan is to take it out of the water, trim as many leaves as possible, and then put the plant in shallow water in a 10 gallon with a peat substrate. It literally takes up almost a third of my 75 gallon, and I don't want to get rid of it completely so I'm going to try this. Think this will work? Any input before I do this?

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I think it should work for you. I would take it down to the 3 newest leaves and do a 20% root prune.

I wouldn't just use peat though. Maybe 25% Peat with 75% dirt. simple TopSoil from a garden center or Home dept. I'd put 1" of sand as a cap on the dirt.

Start with the water at the Top of the leaves and drop it slowly as the new growth starts. Then put a Saran wrap cover on the tank, give it some light and leave it alone. Twice a day open it and mist the sword with a spray bottle.

Once the new emesred leaves start growing get your water down below the substrate surface.

Once you get to that point you might as well start some carpet plants or Moss on the sand or something for your other tank.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 05:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (344/99%)
Send a message via Yahoo to gordonrichards
Ozelots for me rarely do well emerged, not sure but they hate me :^( Not sure what I do wrong with the darn things. Shallow water is better then none. Partially submerge it!

-Gordon

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well I have it in the 10 gallon with the leaves under the water for the most part. I already had peat water logged so I added some dirt and covered the top with saran wrap. Now I will just have to wait and see what happens.

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Voila. Success.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1989.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	51460
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1992.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	51461
It's already working, to my surprise. That was quick and easy. It's cool that it is already putting leaves (or leaf...) above the surface.

I actually just scooped up a few black neon tetra eggs and dumped them in there, in an attempt to save them. Hopefully it's cycled and if not oh well it was worth a try.

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode