USPS is worrying me... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)
USPS is worrying me...

I ordered fish in the mail for the first time this week. The package was shipped Tuesday, but the tracking says it still hasn't reached the origin facility near me. I'm kind of worried because it's taking longer than it should. Maybe they're running late on the tracking info? I really hope it gets here tomorrow but I'm worried about it...

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rainbuilder; 07-13-2012 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Alsig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 04:40 AM
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)
Give yourself a break young bird.
Package should get to you by tomorrow or Friday.
Since it was shipped tues.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 05:07 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Express or priority?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Priority.

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 08:31 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
It's very common for the USPS tracking to not get updated for days even though the package is on its way as it should be. That's why USPS calls its tracking a "confirmation number" and not an actual tracking number. It's not intended to be used for tracking.

What I often see is a big delay in updates from the first place that processed the package to when the package arrives at my local post office. It is my local post office that gives me the first clue where the package is. I usually see that it has arrived in the wee hours of the morning and then a few hours later, I see it's out for delivery. All the time in between is often never posted on the USPS tracking.

Fish can do fine while in transit for this long. It seems odd, but I've come to appreciate that they really don't die that easily during shipping. The only time I've had fish die in transit happened because the shipper did not seal the bags so the water leaked out. That would happen no matter how many days the fish were in transit. Otherwise, the fish have always done well even when sent in regular bags.

So don't get too worried just because the USPS isn't updating the tracking info. That's actually pretty common. Your fish will most likely arrive today in good condition.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Just remember it isn't a tracking number but a Delivery Confirmation number. Only designed to be scanned upon delivery to show the shipper that it arrived. If it gets scanned in between that is jsut a plus.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Be more concerned about who you bought the fish from than being able to track the box. If the fish were fasted properly before shipping, it will help mantain water quality immensely during shipping. They should handle 3 days easily. Next time have the package held at your P.O. Mine called at 8:15AM and my fish were acclimated and in QT by 9:30 instead of wandering about in a hot delivery truck until 1PM. That cut a half day off the process and went a long way toward insuring the box didn't fry in the back of the local delivery truck/vehicle.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I agree, never ordered fish before (but will be!) but have used priority mail a lot. About half the time nothing is updated until after the package is received. FedEx and UPS are much better about that if it is important to you, but I like priority mail.

Ps: I try to stay away from FedEx ground, they only handle the shipment for part of the trip, then hand off to the post office or DHL. The double handling always seems to cause delays.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 11:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
They should be fine! I got fish yesterday (Thursday) that were shipped Monday. Then our new mailman just set them on our front step, full sun. Didn't bother knocking or anything. Luckily my husband saw the USPS van drive by as he left a few minutes later. I had one deceased fish (5 alive) and the snails I ordered all alive. So four days total in the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady33 View Post

Ps: I try to stay away from FedEx ground, they only handle the shipment for part of the trip, then hand off to the post office or DHL. The double handling always seems to cause delays.
That's FedEx "Smart Post" and I don't care for it either.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I also try to avoid Fedex when I'm alert. In my case, things coming from the East came to Dallas (3 hrs north) and then was handed off to USPS which made it go to Houston (4 hrs south) and then to me. It was not live stuff so it did not hurt this time. But 7 days from the East coast to here is too much for fish. I was tracking and the updates seemed okay but there was a different "zone" involved? I never quite understood the deal.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Try not to worry to much. I ordered 100 shrimp a couple weeks ago. It was supposed to come by saturday and as of friday night according to tracking number it was still in missouri. I was panicing big time because the temps had reached into the 90s and if it had to sit all weekend I knew they would all die.

They showed up right on time. The tracking just never got updated. It went from being in Missouri to "Delivered"
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I got some fish this week and the info never updated until it reached my local post office on time. Until then it still had them at the sort facility on the other side of the country. It is a bit nervewracking the first time your order fish (this was my first fish order too). But it will be ok.

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 06:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've had things get lost by the Post Office twice, never to be found. Done with them. I am strictly UPS if I get the choice.

Standard 10 Gallon (20 x12x12).
Low tech, Sand substrate.
Eheim 2211, and Aqueon Quietflow 10.
Finnex Stingray LED, 20" above substrate
2 Anubias Nana Petite, Christmas moss.
4 Halequin Rasborahs, 5 RCS.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well it updated and it arrived in my town this morning. It should arrive any minute. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. So excited!

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Only 2 out of 12 fatalities! Thanks everyone for helping me get over my impatience and anxiety. Not so scared to order fish anymore.

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode