is salt okay to use with tetras? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
is salt okay to use with tetras?

I used it once with my new bloodfins and redeye tetras but I just wanna make sure it's okay to use before I use it again?

40B - Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Why do you want to use it?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Banned

To help get rid of ick in conjunction with AP Pro QuICK Cure in my QT tank.

40B - Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~~

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
For fish that do not handle salt well, raise the level slowly and do not use too high a dose.
For example:
Day 1: 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons, dissolved in some water, then pour that water into the tank slowly over several hours.
Day 2: Repeat.
Day 3: Repeat. The total dose is now 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons. When you do water changes add just that much salt to the new water. (for example, a 5 gallon water change will need 1/2 tablespoon of salt).

Do lots of water changes to help against Ich. They fall to the floor of the tank (mostly) to reproduce. The more often you can vacuum the floor of the the tank the better. I have even read of some fish cured just by daily water changes in a bare bottom tank. This cure has been around for as long as people have kept fish.

You can also use a UV sterilizer with salt, but I would not suggest using one with any other medicine. Many medicines are light sensitive, and a UV would deactivate them.

Keep up the treatment until several days to a week past the date you see the last Ich spot on any of the fish.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Well, I didn't slowly add the salt but I only put a little bit, probably less than a tablespoon I'm thinking. I had my fish in a five gallon bucket then switched out to a fresh 10G. I'm already seeing less ick spots, this QuICK Cure is working pretty good.

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I had a difficult ich to cure and tried several commercial remedies before trying heat and salt. I was dealing with black skirt tetras and it took almost a month of slowly upping the salt and heat but it did finally get it done. I thought the fish might be pickled before cured but they showed no signs of stress even though I went far beyond the recommended levels. I also treated well beyond what was considered normal as this ich did not respond as expected. I had several small tanks on hand and as fish appeared to be well, I moved them to second QT tanks and the tetra were the last to cure.
I had tried Quick cure and found it did nothing for the ich I had this time.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I had a difficult ich to cure and tried several commercial remedies before trying heat and salt. I was dealing with black skirt tetras and it took almost a month of slowly upping the salt and heat but it did finally get it done. I thought the fish might be pickled before cured but they showed no signs of stress even though I went far beyond the recommended levels. I also treated well beyond what was considered normal as this ich did not respond as expected. I had several small tanks on hand and as fish appeared to be well, I moved them to second QT tanks and the tetra were the last to cure.
I had tried Quick cure and found it did nothing for the ich I had this time.
I had a similar issue turned out it was old meds I ran out of the meds after the first week and a half of treating got a new bottle and it was like magic.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

Using Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyTR View Post
I used it once with my new bloodfins and redeye tetras but I just wanna make sure it's okay to use before I use it again?
Hello j...

Yes, you can safely use a couple of teaspoons of standard aquarium salt in every 5 gallons of your new water. Kosher or commercial canning salt in the fresh water tank is fine too. No table salt, though. It can contain additives due to processing.

I've used it in my Fancy Guppy and Corydoras tanks for about five years, since a friend who's been keeping tanks since the 1960s suggested I start using it.

My plants and fish are fine with a little. I use it my "terraphyte" tank too and the emersed land plants tolerate it very well. I think most aquarium fish would benefit from a little used regularly. I guess my take on the subject is, if we use it in large amounts to kill fish diseases when they happen, it makes perfect sense to use a little routinely.

Just a couple of thoughts to consider or not.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

There are several strains of Ich. Sounds like Planted Rich may have had the strain called Super Ich: It does not respond to most Ich meds, and takes longer to cure.

Quick Cure does not work so fast.
When the Ich organisms are burrowed in under the slime coat no meds can kill them. They must mature, fall to the bottom and reproduce.
Medicines kill the babies, so they do not re-infest the fish.

When you are no longer seeing new spots on the fish that means the medicine is working, by killing the baby Ich before they get on the fish.
Keep up the treatment until all the spots have fallen off and had a chance to reproduce so that you are killing those last baby Ich.

A much lower level of salt can help the fish. Fish are under stress when they are sick, and salt can help. A very low level may not be enough to kill Ich, though.
When the Ich is gone, quit adding salt. Allow the level to come down gradually through regular water changes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode