Saltwater Weeds - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Saltwater Weeds

Does anybody here have experience with saltwater plants? (seagrasses, macro algae, etc.) I've got two aquarium projects coming up this summer that I would love some help with.

The first is a dwarf seahorse tank. It will be a nano tank (a heavily modified 6 gallon nano cube most likely). My biggest question is, are there any saltwater aquatic plants such as seagrasses that are either small enough to fit in this tank or can tolerate the aggressive trimming required to make them fit? I am content to rely on macro algae if the answer is no. If that is the case and I have to go with macro algae, does anybody have any recommendations?

The second project is going to be a "display refugium" for a larger saltwater reef tank. I'm still working out the details. All I know is that I want a planted refugium that is also a secondary display and beautiful on its own - independent of the reef. I guess I don't have any specific questions regarding it yet because I'm still too early in the planning phase.

I know this is primarily a freshwater forum but I'd love any input. In general, most of the reef forums don't deal at all with plants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 04:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
There was another thread https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ted+salt+tanks that coverd the "planted" aspect of salt tanks referenced here http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/sho...&threadid=58176

OH And I put in a vote for Leafy sea dragons those things put horses to shame imo.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
The leafy sea dragons are amazing but unless there are species I'm not aware of (quite possible), I dont' know of any that are suitable for a nano. I know it sounds retarded but space is a huge concern for me. I really do live in a very small place. The space for my 38 gallon planted tank was fortuitous. I'll post pictures in the gallery soon.

I'd give up a toe for a basement.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Dragons need a larger tank, at least a 100 gal IMO.
I've done several SW plant tanks.
I've grown about 50 species of plant/macro algae.
See ReefCentral forums on macro algae and marine plants.
I am growing cold water species now.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode