Amazon sword question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Amazon sword question

Afternoon everyone! Firstly just want to say what a great forum :-) have been reading through some bits and lots of great info :-)

Bit of history before my question! I rescaped my 180 litre tank a few weeks ago and planted all new plants, 5 amazon swords, 1 ozelot sword and a couple of groups of vallis.

I never changed my substrate so still have a very fine gravel.

I dose daily with flourish excel and JBL Ferropol 24 and weekly with JBL Ferropol. I have also put 1 JBL Root ball under each plant including the vallis.

My lights are 2 x T5 35 watt, the back one is the JBL tropic ultra and the front one is theJBL colour, both are full spectrum and are on for 7 hours per day(plan to up this when the plants grow and establish themselves!)

So... My questions... I know it takes a few weeks for plants to settle in and you can expect a little die back before they grow, and I've also been told that sometimes swords are commercially grown emmersed so when we put the plant in the tank the emmersed leaves will die off and new, slightly different shaped leaves will grow?

I have a few leaves on my swords that are browning around the edges and towards the middle, these are the optional leaves. Would it be beneficial I the plant if I removed these leaves or should I wait until they are really dead? If I should remove them now do i cut them as close to the base as possible?

Sorry for the long post but hopefully someone can advise :-)

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342111967.227374.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	50667  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would say go ahead and remove the browning leave to encourage new growth. Yep, just cut them off as close to the base as you can.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Same here. It won't be long before the swords will take over the tank and you'll be chopping off leaves just to make room for the water. So no problem taking the damaged ones off now.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the quick replies :-) ill chop them off at the weekend when i do the next water change :-) I want them to all to grow big and proud! I love them :-)

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Algae Grower

I bought amazon swords in a tube and think I accidentally removed the rhizome when washing it, planted it anyways and now it's growing a new one! I have a large one and two smaller ones, but the leaves are growing horizontally rather that straight up very weird.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Oh, they'll grow big and proud! And big... and big... and BIG! I'm glad you're enjoying them. They are definitely a nice looking plant.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -

29g -
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
That is one of the limited number of plants I started with in my efforts. By luck and sturdy plants, the sword has done so well in spite of all I did wrong that I am now "required" to do more. I have it in a 125 with African cichlids ranging from new born1/4 inch fry to 9" protomelas and in spite of all, it prospers. A bit ragged at times but still impresses the people who come by. Maybe I need to get more knowledgable friends?
Several have stated flatly that you can't keep live plants with big cichlids!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 01:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
Same here. It won't be long before the swords will take over the tank and you'll be chopping off leaves just to make room for the water. So no problem taking the damaged ones off now.
I second this. Mine was monstrous. I had mine in my 55g when I first started 10yrs ago, added the diy co2 and it took off. I was pruning several leaves every 2-3 weeks because they just got so large. Great plant but they need alot of space.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
they grow like weeds, i have an amazon that dominates my 90 gal its actually out grown the tank, the leaves are over a foot n half long, i took it out 6 months ago and measured the roots, they spread across my entire tank, over 30 inches long...... right now its got about 15 little sisters growing, my entire 90 gal has been taken over, looks like a jungle, but im waiting till my other tank is ready to cut them loose

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 02:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Swords are great plants - they'll do extremely well in a low-tech environment, with just root tab ferts - and you can keep trimmimg them all you want, to keep them of the size that seems appropriate for your tank.
btw, your swords look great right now !
Just remove the brown leaves, as others have said.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 02:22 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
I saw this topic earlier today and it made me want a tank dedicated to the amazon sword plant. Have them exclusively and over-grown with a nice hardscape for them to over-grow over haha

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the great replies :-)

I planted 5 of the amazon swords just in case one or two died on me haha :-) if they all grow then I'm sure some will have to come out or I'll have no room! I was told the ozelot sword (?) grows closer more horizontal than vertical so will see how much space that takes up. I assume the pruning is the same for the ozelot as it is for the amazon, just trim any unwanted leaves off at the base?

Been a great help guys, I'll let you know how the pruning goes :-) it looks as there is about 6 leaves to come out in total, and they all appear to be the original leaves dieing off :-)

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 06:10 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

It really doesn't matter if the leaves are more horizontal or vertical, just pick whichever one you like best. It won't be long before the leaves will grow anywhere and everywhere the tank allows.

Here's an idea of how big these plants get:

Photo credit: http://www.freewebs.com/allys-aquati...dualplants.htm

90g -

29g -
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow that is beautiful! I would love at least 1 of mine to grow like that! :-)

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 07:29 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

I know! If only I had a tank large enough for one. They are truly beautiful plants!

90g -

29g -
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode