The Planted Tank Forum banner

need good check valves

2K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  hedge_fund 
#1 ·
I broke my check valve on sunday when I was cleaning my tank, so in a hurry, I went up to petsmart and bought two plastic ones they had. I guess the pressure was too much and one of them split and sprayed water all over my corallife light timer and shorted it out.:icon_sad:

I returned both check valves and they gave me a new timer.:smile: But now I need to know where to find good check valves.

#2 ·
#4 ·
I have no idea. It would depend on what kind of LFSs you have locally.

Have you emailed GLA to see when they'll be getting more in stock?

You wouldn't think this would be a difficult item to find, but I did a search on it, and all I could find were either the cheap plastic ones, a brass one from Rex Grigg (but I hear he's MIA and not shipping stuff), and some other one that's running $35.

Maybe put up a post in the WTB section? Someone might have one sitting around they wouldn't mind parting with.

#5 ·
maknwar carries the brass Clippard inline check valves for $12 each. These work very well for our use. He also has very nice Swagelok check valves.

... Clippard check valve...$12
Swagelok SS-4C-1/3 inline check valve(w/inserts)...$35 ...
http://plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=148226

There may be other CO2 parts sellers that have them as well. I've used the Clippard inline check valves for years and I've never had a problem with them.

#14 · (Edited)
I assume we're talking about check valves for pressurized CO2 systems; not check valves for air pumps, or valves on canister filter plumbing, or etc.

On my rig, I use a pair of McMaster's brass check valves.

http://www.mcmaster.com//#standard-brass-check-valves

They are about 10 bucks each and are basically a spring-loaded plunger with rubber sealing face. . . I've had fantastic results. :)

#19 ·
The medical grade ones are not good, I had one for three months and it started to let water past it. I was not happy with those and they are expensive. I just want metal ones they will not crack.

Nilocg are the ones you have metal? Btw thanks for the ferts my tank is exploding with new growth.

#20 ·
Generally medical grade components and equipment are superior to consumer grade parts. If there was a check valve that was spec'd for CO2 delivery, I would bet its reliability would be significantly better than standard aquarium or industrial stuff. Safety of life has its price.

#21 ·
I've used at least half a dozen of the silvery valves with the arrow ...and they've all failed. I had what I thought was a nice clippard check valve with 10-32 ports ...and that failed after a few months.

I have yet to try some valves from USPlastics that I was looking at - they're PVC with a SS spring and poppet, and only $2 apiece.

I finally decided to go with the 1/3 psi Swagelok valves, both the type with compression fittings and the type with NPT threads. I bought some extras, so I'll probably offer them in the SnS at some point. So far so good, and I've heard only good things - same thing with the Parkers. So I'm optimistic, but no promises.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.