HC carpet question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
HC carpet question

Hi everybody. I'm a newbie in planted tanks and ive been lurking and browsing thru the forum for a couple days. I am planning to setup a planted tank with HC carpet. I really like the look of it and would like to try. However, i have zero knowledge about it. I have a 16 gallon bowfront tank and i ordered a 20" solar fixture from Catalina. I believe its 72w. I would like to know if DIY co2 would be enough to grow an HC carpet. Also, i have seen people here who do a dry start method in planting them. I would like to get some advice as to the best way to plant HC. I saw on aquabid a seller who has HC carpet grown in coconut husk, id like to know if its easier to just buy that as opposed to getting several potted HC and plant it. I also plan to add a few beginner plants such as nana anubias, crypts and cabomba. Fish will be a group of cardinal tetras. I would appreciate all the inputs that you guys have and thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
There's nothing special to HC. Light, CO2, good nutrients and trimming keeps a good carpet. I'd just buy a few portions and do a submersed start. It prefers higher CO2 levels and light in my experience. Excel helps as well. It may also help in the early stages to make sure you don't have so much flow that it blows the HC up. Once it gets rooted well you can do whatever. Treat it like a nice grass lawn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
That is a lot of light. I hope u have a means of suspending it over the tank by about 8 to 10 inches. Diy c02 can be enough provided u have multiple c02 generators. One diy bottle will not likely be sufficient with ur light level

Sump Pimp #7

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
That is a lot of light. I hope u have a means of suspending it over the tank by about 8 to 10 inches. Diy c02 can be enough provided u have multiple c02 generators. One diy bottle will not likely be sufficient with ur light level
I agree with mr. wolf here, you have 4.5WPG when you really dont need that much, its always good to have a nice light fixture for future use down the road on another tank, but make sure your light is suspended. for HC i would recommend you try a dry start method, its extremely easy, trying to plant HC in a tank full of water is a pain, if you try the emersed setup first you will allow your plants to root plus you dont have to worry about dosing with co2 or excel and algea for a little while

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks guys! I will do the emersed method then to plant. The light fixture is 36w x 2 so maybe il just use 1 bulb so i dont have too much light. Im still waiting for plants to come in the mail but i will update thread when i start planting. Thanks again!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you're going emersed, go ahead and blast it with lots of light. The HC will have access to plenty of CO2 from the atmosphere, and there's no algae probs to worry about.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok, il do that. Thanks!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok, here it is. il try my luck with DSM. What do you guys use to mist? Plain water? Water with fertz? I only have seachem flourish, will that be enough?

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 03:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Hey Perry,

Nice start. Where did you get your HC? I am planning my first DSM HC start in my tank soon and I will be looking for some HC soon.

I've been doing tons of research on the DSM HC and from what I have gathered its the easiest way to start a carpet. I'm excited to see your progress, have you consider starting a journal?

Anyhoo, I've read that people add low concereations of ferts in their spray but I would hold off until you get through the first few weeks. After a few weeks, it should start to take off. If not... give it a jump start. lol

Good luck and take care.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hi tyler,

I got the hcs from plantedaquariumscentral, the seller is based in AZ. Im sure theres plenty of people here who have hc, maybe you could post a WTB thread.
Im not sure how good a start it was, almost a quarter of the hcs had yellow leaves when i got them in the mail, i still planted them hoping they would recover.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
THEY WILL ALL FALL OFF AND WITHER keep the top closed and humidtiy high. it still likes to be kep moist

wehn aquatic plants convert over to emmersed growth, they wither and "die" lose all their leaves and stems seem to rot.. as long as the roots grew in well. they will come back out all pretty and green

a little bit of fetilizer will go a lon way. if u have any terrestrial fertilizer, i've seen some good results with that when diluted very low. VERY very low. it does have ammonia which is good for plant growth but too much can burn a plant.

Sump Pimp #7

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks Mr. Wolf. I hope it recovers from its transition. Not sure what terrestrial ferts are since im new to the hobby but im planning to order a fertilizer package consist of NPK CSM+B, not sure if thats the same fert you are referring to, dont even know what NPK CSM+B stands for, gotta do some more reading about ferts.lol
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Don't even mess with ferts for right now.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok, so after a month and a half, I decided to fill this tank . . .

added some dwarf hairgrass and moss tree x 2 . . .

plants seem to be doing ok. knock on wood.

Victor reg courtesy of oldpunk78

Thats it for now. Tank looks dull, will be adding more plants this weekend to add a little color. Thanks for looking . . .
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Looks great! Did a nice job with the trees, what plants are you gonna put in the background? Blyxa might look nice

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode