Continuous water change system for planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Continuous water change system for planted tank

Hey im going for a huge tank in a few months and im intrested in a continuous water change (tap on one side and overflow on the other going down the drain). the only plants im intrested in are ferns and moss no other plants. the lights will be LED flood lights (have been using them with success). the only thing i wana know is that do i need to dose co2 in it? any good ideas with pics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I almost think dosing of any kind with that setup would be kinda pointless... Your just flushing it out, but your bringing in new water constantly which will have nutrients in it as well.

Let me know how your water bill looks
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Haha yeah water bill alert. If its a trickle it wont be a huge bill but costly anyways. No CO2

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Planted Member

How long have you been using led flood lights and what W and K are they?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Whether you need to dose CO2 or not pretty much depends on the light levels -- the higher the light intensity, the greater the need for CO2 and other nutrients.

The OP hasn't stated HOW MUCH water is being changed constantly, so the whole "water bill" and "dosing pointless" discussion is premature. Changing 5 or 10% of total water volume daily isn't a big deal until you get to 500+ gal tanks. I mean each time you flush the toilet 3-5 gallons go down the sewer. Water is (too) cheap around here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

well water for me is FREE....... flood lights will be 50w and 6500k. i will keep it low light. what about dosing glutaraldehyde every day? the water flow will be really slow (till the drops stop and it becomes continuous) lights will stay on from 11:30am-2:30pm and from 6:30pm-10pm.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Planted Member

How will you be dosing the water conditioner? IV drip?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 04:10 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette View Post
How will you be dosing the water conditioner? IV drip?
shouldnt need water conditioner with well water. I know I dont
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 05:21 AM
Planted Member

I didn't notice that he's in Inda. Tap water is likely not chlorinated.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 06:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanomania View Post
well water for me is FREE....... flood lights will be 50w and 6500k. i will keep it low light. what about dosing glutaraldehyde every day? the water flow will be really slow (till the drops stop and it becomes continuous) lights will stay on from 11:30am-2:30pm and from 6:30pm-10pm.
Some moss does okay with Glut, I think CO2 would be best for Ferns and mosses, they really thrive nicely with low light and CO2.
A drip fert might be best since they get everything from the water column.

I'd use the waste water to irrigate or send to a cistern to collect water for landscape of crops, that water would be ideal.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

well currently i have never ever dosed any ferts or declorinator ever in my tanks xcpt for glut. twice a week....have been into planted tanks since 7yrs now and have had 6 different setups. i use ada as mid layer, rest is river sand. the bottom layer is of the mid size pebbles seperated via sieve from river sand, the mid layer is ada and the top layer if fine river sand... water quality is always good in my area....
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

im only concerned about co2 as i use diy cozhere the cylinders are not trust worthy.long back, there was a blast atmyplacesince thenimnot allowed to use anything pressurized at home. sofor continuous WC system, is it necessary to dose co2, as in wild they dont get co2 but continuously water is changing. will keep it low light which looks betteranddont have to trim moss every week.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Are these real?

Again, for a low light tank it is not necessary to dose CO2. It only helps to grow your plants larger, greener and healthier.

DIY CO2 for a huge tank is pretty questionable. There was a gentleman from India here a few years back who did exactly that, let me see if I can dig out that thread.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Are these real?

Here it is - very ingenious:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=53172

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode