Hello....and a little help please - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello....and a little help please

I asked some questions in the low tech forum, because I thought that was were they belonged, but it turns out that I might have too much light for a low tech set up, so I thought I might ask some questions over here in hopes of getting some additional help.

I do have another tank running that has some plants in it, but they were purchased somewhat as an after thought and without a lot of intentions of having plants becoming part of the hobby. I figured if I was goint to pay $7 dollars for a fake plant, I might as well get something that would grow and fill out. Well after quite a bit of reading and stumbling upon this forum, I've decided to start a tank with the plants in mind from the start.

The set up I have right now is:

20 gallon long
Aqueon Dual T5 (2x18 watts) 1 @6700k, 1 @colormax
Aquaclear 30, with extra bag of ceramic media
Aquaclear 50
Aqueon 100 watt heater
SafeTSorb Substrate

My plan was for this to be a low tech/low light setup, but I guess my lights are too bright unless I raise them above the tank or block some of the light with window screen or something similar.

I plan to either fertilize with root tabs or dose with ferts depending upon what is more readily available locally.

Will I need to run CO2, or can I get by with something like Fluorish Excell until I am more prepared to tackle a CO2 system?

Can some one point me toward plants that will be more appropriate to the level of lighting that I have?

I've got the hardscaping done unless someone has any suggestions for improving upon it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FTS 1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	50550  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
The CO2 is mostly a measure to keep the plants growing so fast the algea can't get a foothold. Its good in any tank, imo, low or high tech. Plants just like CO2, to be frank.

What you can do is just run on a single bulb. And start with very heavy planting, best with some fast growing plants that do ok in low light, like ludwigia and hornwort. And floaters. Floaters are always good imo, for getting a tank establishd.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode