need help on 60 gal planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
need help on 60 gal planted tank

Hello all- I have a 60 gal planted tank- My Question is -will the carbon in my filter take out the iron and potassium I am putting in . and I have a crbo pro c02 system and don't have it turned on beacause the c02 indicator says my co2 is too high-do I need to put in a air stone to lower co2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just take the carbon out of your filter. I hardly use it all anymore, and never in my planted tank. The only use I have for it is to occasionally remove tannins from my non-planted tank. Water changes take care of the rest.

As for your CO2 indicator, what is it? The best way to measure your CO2 levels are to find out your KH and pH then check a CO2 chart. You should aim for 20-30 ppm, but not more than 40. If your current indicator says the CO2 is too high, but you don't have anything putting CO2 in the water, that sounds like a case for a faulty indicator.

I hope you didn't just buy the Carbo-Plus thingy. If you did, in my opinion, you wasted your money. Check out the thread on this page about an "electronic carbon dioxide" thing, as well as many others. Pressurized is better and cheaper in the long run.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Hi Canoe2can- I'll take out the carbon this weekend( We spent $606 at LFS and they could'nt even tell us that we need to take out the carbon) they are so like sharks you know -I figure I better get smart soon or they will take ALL my $ -Anyway yes I did buy the thingee -made in germany -has a carbon wafer you put in the tank and a controller with a dial with 10 leds-when I first put it in I set it on the first led thinking start slow- the indicator is a thing you put some aquarium water in and 2 drops of this stuff and carfully lower into the tank-creating a air lock and suction cupping it about 4" down as far away from the co2 sourse as possible-and if the fluid inside is yellow after 10 minutes then it's to high-green is good-blue is too low. I will use the chart. Thankyou....

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 04:27 PM

On the carbon issue - if the tank has been up and running for awhile and has fish you may want to remove the carbon a bit at a time. It may be acting as part of your biological filter and by removing it all at once, you could get an ammonia spike (though this is fairly unlikely in a planted aquarium).

Also, on the carbon issue, I also set up carbon in my tank because I didn't know any better at the time. It's been in there for over a month though. Is there really any point in removing it? I've heard it loses its ability to pull anything out of the water in 2-4 weeks.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Hey Joe- I beleive that the carbon will take things out of the water (like the iron I am dosing) I've been dosing iron to try to get it to the correct level and it won't come up....so I'm figuring that It might be taking out the potassium also ( I don't have a test kit for that-I was told by LFS "you won't need to test for it" Go figure they got the rest of my $ why not a little more? Or do they really care and are on the up and up ?) So-I'm not sure what to do Take carbon out and get iron up? or leave in and just don't worry about it-I'm thinking take it out and if the water gets yellow put it back in-only problem is- it's an eheim 2217 and It's a job too get to it....I'd rather not take any thing out of the water that the tank might need.I have a 6 gal nano reef also and I've been told NOT to use carbon. ?????
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Most people don't use carbon in a planted tank because it can absorb trace minerals. I have never heard of it absorbing potassium though.

Take a few minutes and read my Guide. It will help you a lot. And if you still can return that damn Crapo Plus and get a pressurized system. The startup costs on a pressurized system might be a bit higher but the long term operational costs are much much lower.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 03:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Regardless of its value or lack thereof, activated carbon should not just be left in a tank indefinitely. It will remove certain chemicals from the water for a while, but eventually it will be saturated and can even leach them back into the water. I'm sure opinions vary, but I've usually read that when carbon is used, it should be replaced every two weeks.

btodd, I haven't kept saltwater for over 10 years, and I've never had a reef tank, but if reefs are supposed to have carbon, good for them. I'm just saying it's a different story for freshwater planted.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 06:51 PM

I'm not sure if it leaches anything back into the water or not but I do know that if it's removed, it should be pulled out slowly because it might be host to a considerable amount of bacteria contributing to the biological filter.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 08:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'm pretty sure that's just an old theory about carbon leaching stuff back into the water. I have seen posts with a lot more information proving that isn't true. And the life of the activated carbon is pretty short so I doubt it's pulling anything out of the water anymore. You might as well leave it in since it's got a lot of surface area for the bacteria to grow on.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode