Who use tap water for shrimp? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Who use tap water for shrimp?

Is it safe to use tap water for shrimp?

I have been only using RO water for my shrimps.

I tested my tap and it dont seem too bad, just higher pH of 8 but with Co2 and aquasoil it will drop back to 5.5 or 6 right? Also the GH for tap is 2.5 but I can just add my Fluval shrimp mineral to raise the hardness like what I do for my RO water.

What are the pro and cons of using tap water?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NIKON Pimp Club #063
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
That's all i use but I'm just dealing with rili and cherry shrimp

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Tons of people run a mix of ro and tap for their bee type shrimp.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
First, your PH sounds right for Southern California tap water, but your GH does not. GH for most Southern California water sources should be much higher. Here in Orange County, my GH is >10 and my KH is sky high as well. TDS varies throughout the year from around 280 to as high as 500.

Now to address your questions:
1) The content of tap water can change throughout the year as your local municipality may switch water sources at any time with no notice. Often water is pulled from 2 or more sources depending on the time of the year. This makes it hard to maintain consistent water parameters.

2) The chemical treatment used in the water may change throughout the year.

3) While Aquasoil or similar will help lower PH, by starting with high PH/KH water, your Aquasoil will lose its buffering capability more quickly necessitating changing the soil more frequently. Also, my experience is that Aquasoil won't take PH 8 water down to 6.5, or if it does it takes a long time.

4. Even if you get the PH right, your TDS is likely to still be too high for the shrimp.

Neo's and Amanos do great in Southern California tap. CRS and other bee's usually do not. I know of some who have managed to keep them alive in tap, but don't know of anyone who has gotten them to breed in 100% tap. There are however plenty of people who mix aged tap water with RO to get the correct parameters for their shrimp, rather than using supplements.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I filter my tap water through a DIY peat filter to lower ph/gh/kh and use that in my tanks and so far my crystals are doing good. Here is my thread on my filtering, https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=175620

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I use plain old dechlored tap water for everything. our tap water has a low pH and is pretty soft. I only have red cherry shrimp though.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I did have a problem using tap water in my Shrimp tank and I killed several batches of RCS, I then decided to go RO and not try shrimp again until I had clean water. But there is more to this somewhere and I can't explain it but it was a 2.5 nano and I also had a 150 with shrimp and survival was not an issue in the big tank or I should say unless it was death by predation. But it is definitely easier to keep good parameters in a larger tank were mistakes get absorbed by the volume.

I now keep Taiwan Painted Fire Reds and Tangerine Tigers in the nano.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I use tap water and switch between soft and hard water every few months since I move the tank to school. I have never had a problem with RCS.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:

Mini-M Journal 2:
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Rcs can live in unfiltered bucket for weeks! Mine did just that when I moved.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
I filter my tap water through a DIY peat filter to lower ph/gh/kh and use that in my tanks and so far my crystals are doing good. Here is my thread on my filtering, https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=175620
Thanks for sharing. I think I'm gonna try that. I have a RO system at home but when changing lots of gallon it will take forever to fill it up. I have a few gallon jug saved up for my 9g tank. If I plan to setup a 20g shrimp then I might need another alternative so your method seems to be pretty cool. I'll give that a try.

What type of peat did you buy? Is peat moss the same? Here is a link from amazon which I plan to buy from. http://www.amazon.com/Espoma-PTM8-8-...&keywords=peat

NIKON Pimp Club #063
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Banned

PTrader: (59/90%)
i use tap water no additives or anything granted we have springs here so the water comes out just right for shrimps or fish hope that never changes
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I use straight tap + water conditioner for my SS CRS and they're breeding well. I don't do huge water changes though, only 10-30%
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to causemisahastheeyes
Only cherries here, and they breed like mad in my pH of 8.4.

Misa's not worried....
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Funny how some of your shrimps even crs does well in straight with water conditioner. When I first started the planted tank back in Dec 2011 my first tank was my 9g CRS tank. I had like 8 of them in there. I used straight tap and treat with amquel. Shrimps were doing fine till the molted, once they molte the die.

After that I change to RO and add some Fluval shrimp mineral water hardner to a GH of 4-5, after that no dead CRS.

NIKON Pimp Club #063
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 02:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
this is amazing. i will be making one of these with a recirculating style system that way i can fill the bucket and filter till i've reached the levels i wanna be at

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode