Free CO2! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Free CO2!

If I was able to get a free CO2 system, should I bother considering my tank is low tech. Is it worth the hassle?

And a second question.. i dont want to use any test kits to calculate how much co2 is in the water, instead i would just like an approximate bubble per minute number to keep my fish safe, what would i be looking at?

Last edited by Eben; 07-09-2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: came to mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
answering but not LOL
Making a drop checker and 4dKH solution isn't all that hard really.
That in combination with watching you're critters is all (imo) you need to do it safely.

Free CO2 system? absolutely! even with lower lighting carbon benefits the water weeds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Personally I would consider starting another tank with plants that need co2. I'm not sure what your existing setup is like but if it's low tech, it's probably already doing pretty well as is. I would challenge myself by growing plants I haven't tried before that generally require co2 to thrive.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Free co2 system? Take it! Even if you don't want to use it now, you can always use it later if you want to go high tech.

Even a low light tank can benefit from co2. Why not experiment and see how it works?

Start with maybe a bubble per second, and see how your fish respond. If they do OK increase co2 cautiously. If fish seem stressed, or hang at the surface, stop the co2 and use an airstone to aerate the water a bit. When you restart the co2, bump it back down to the level that seemed to work OK.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association

Last edited by chicken; 07-10-2012 at 01:58 AM. Reason: left out a word
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
This makes 3 that agree it will benifit even a low light tank.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)
My low light tank showed a huge improvement when I started adding co2. You can see the line on each stalk where the growth took off and things started looking healthier. New plants that I was having a hard time taking root began to anchor to the substrate as well. As long as you don't dump too much gas into the tank, you can't really go wrong with a free co2 system!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok im going to use it. One bubble is ok?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 02:10 AM
Planted Member

Go for it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 02:32 AM
Algae Grower

My tank was low tech once upon a time, I also got a close to free co2 set up (tank cost $20) but I used it and got good fast growth with it, no ferts, and low light. I also never got any algae, so that was cool, after a while I went high tech and I already had the most expensive part.

I would spend $10 on a drop checker and make 4dk yourself. Don't chance gassing your fish because you were guessing.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
If you don't want it, ship it to me. You can't go wrong with pressurized co2 unless your really tried to jack it up. There is alot more control with it vs diy. Plus its free, that's a no brainer. What type of system is this by the way. Some are better than others so quality can go along ways. Being free though is an easier bullet to bite vs you paying your money for it. Experiment with it for yourself.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Go for it.
I would dive in even if I am blind!

Proud 39th Member of the RAOK club!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode