I'm done for now anyways - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm done for now anyways

Well guys thanks for the advice you have gave me but tonight I gave my wife all my plants for her tank and a few of my fish, the rest of my fish I'll take to the lfs. I'm just so tired of fighting this tank, so with that said ill ask for one more piece of advice. I do plan on starting over when my funds are right so please tell me your suggestions from substrate filters plants and fish. My tank is a 20 high and I plan to go low teck. I want to do it right this time so plz help if you can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 04:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
For those of us who don't know, what was the problem with the tank? The usual algae problems?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes constant cloudy water ammonia free for weeks then just spike out the roof then good again more algea more cloudy and just constant fight I know I messed up starting out being I'm new to the hobby but man can't get even a small break

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 04:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Dirt (MGOPS) + Sand/gravel cap + Lots of high growth stem plants + a T5HO bulb + Shrimp and snails + Sit back

"Less is more" -- you shouldn't have to fight your tank, just cut it back every month

Add some nano fish later.

current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

| retired:

|
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for advice strange thing is my fish never cared my tank was cloudy and water had tons of ammo in it never lost one they just swim there little fins off
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
I don't think you should give up on it! Every problem has a solution, you just gotta find it:P

|
|
|
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

When you add water to the mg will it make my tank nasty how does dirt and water mix
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just giving up on this setup I gave my wife all my swords my water sprite Val's and java ferns now. Just want to start right this time
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump26 View Post
When you add water to the mg will it make my tank nasty how does dirt and water mix
Don't put the water straight into the dirt. You can use a thick bag of plastic laid across the substrate, a plate/dish, or basically anything that will allow the water to be added in without creating a whirl pool in your tank.
And if there is any cloudiness, it should pass after you run your filter, right?:P

|
|
|
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lol I'll give it I just see a big mud pie in my future lol but hey y'all are the pros and I don't have a problem with taking any advice
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
If you don't want to take the soil route, you can try Eco complete as your substrate. I used soil capped with sand and I hated the cloudy water. Eco complete works just as good for me if not better. That stuff is awesome but can be pricey depending your tank size. As long as its 3 inches deep, you'll be fine.

By the way, I pour water into my tanks onto a paper plate and even when I added water for the first time to my Eco complete, the water was pretty much clear. Eco complete never clouds the water. At least it hasn't in the 3 tanks I've used it in.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks that sounds more like it to me
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 06:22 AM
~~~
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Screw you all- I win. I have dirt capped with eco complete.
You jelly?
jk
lol
don't be discouraged. You don't know what I went through to get my 166 to where it is- a lightly planted algaic mess. I think I'll add CO2 if Iget the funds.
So many filter problems, heating problems, overfeeding by my dad, a big mdess- Its worth it, I love it anyway. The happy tetras and shrimp are worth it so far-and hopefully cories, plecos, more shrimp, rasbora, and rams to come will enjoy it as a home.
Don't give up!
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 07:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
When you say low tech you mean low budget?

IMO cutting corners is for people that have more experience in the hobby.

Do it right, for me means that I will use all ADA products and method or Ada Aquasoil, T5HOs, dose EI, and pressurized CO2...

Or, fluval stratum soil and low light, no co2 and no ferts.(sounds like your interest)

All heavily planted from day One and over filtered. 2 filters at least.

That capping dirt technique sounds like a more advanced thing. To me, or a mess for a newbie.

Anyhow, do you have a journal where this failure is documented? I would love to see what was going on with your set up.

And by the way, I admire that you are going to take the time to do things more methodically now. In the meantime, save 50 bucks a week! who knows, maybe you could go all ADA!

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 07:40 AM
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)
Do i smell a loser? only a loser will give up you will never win a fight if you give up that quick.

1st thing first TALL tank are crap Go with a 20 Long way better.
cloudy water mean one thing and one thing only ... bacterial bloom. bacterial bloom happen 90% of the time for newly set up tank, sometime can go on for days to week.
A good way to stop it is water change and check the live stock(fish). Overstock a newly setup will work to fast for all the magic to happen in a newly setup.
algae is another thing that will show up on a newly setup tank, brown algae is the most known algae that will show up.

here a list of things i will do for a new setup.

Filter is the most important thing.
type of filter I recommend

Sunsun
Fluval
Marineland
AquaClear

Heater:
dont care much what brand as long it work.
jebo 100watt heater - $13 Shipped (the one i used)

substrate:
without cap ill do ECO all day long.
with cap ill do top soil MTS with Sand cap.

Plant:
20H is a tall tank, go with plant that grow tall.
A.S grow fast and one of the hardy sword.
some nana and fern for mid-ground tie onto wood or rock.

Light:
you want low tech, so go with a T5NO 1 bulb will give you low-light

Fish:
you want a group of 6 to start.
RN, CT, CB are all good starter fish.
buy from petsmart, try to get them during the $1 per fish season.
If it die, return it... what is there to lose?

I don't cycle my tank before i add fish... in other words people will call it fish cycle.
but I also overstock on the 2nd day the tank is setup so cant really say. This doesnt mean copy me ^^ i been doing this for yrs and yrs.

keep up with 25-50% water change every week or 5gallon water change per day. use a 5gallon bucket

in a week or 3 your tank should be cycle.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode