High Nitrates and Fert info needed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
High Nitrates and Fert info needed

So i haven't taken water test on the tank for a little while now and decided to take a test today. Ammonia and nitrites were at 0 but my nitrate are around 70-80ppm. I also decided to test my water from the faucet and nitrates were around 30-40ppm. To make sure the test kit was still ok, I ran a test on bottled water and it showed 0 0itrates.

Any suggestions on getting the nitrates lowered? I had a RO unit until it was dropped and cracked in several areas. I also have access to RO water from the University I work at but just a pain to load up (2) 5 gallon buckets.

Since the Nitrates are so high that leads me to my next question on what Macro/Micro dry ferts should I order for my tank? I was first thinking NPK, Plantex CSM and some Iron Chelate until I saw my Nitrate levels.

Here are some specs...

29 gallon (running for 9 months)
Heavy planted tank (Jungle looking )
Pressurized Co2
Materialize Organic (bottom), Sand (middle) and Eco Complete (top)
2x T5 36 watt lighting.
Have not been dosing the tank with any type of ferts except for RootMedic Complete substrate tabs.

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Just needs regular water changes and you'll be fine. Some may suggest Purigen but nothing replaces water changes.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
How is your aquarium doing? Are your plants growing well? Any algae problems?

Standard 10 Gallon (20 x12x12).
Low tech, Sand substrate.
Eheim 2211, and Aqueon Quietflow 10.
Finnex Stingray LED, 20" above substrate
2 Anubias Nana Petite, Christmas moss.
4 Halequin Rasborahs, 5 RCS.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
So far I never had any algae problems with the tank. Most of the plants are doing fine except for a few leaf rots and several leaves with some holes in them. The stem plants are going like weeds.

BTW The plants floating on top are Dwarf Sag's that I'm hoping to sell locally.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 01:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Generally I would say that if there isn't a problem, then don't fix it. Since you have fairly high light, and co2 injection, your plants may need more potassium, phosphate, and maybe even micro's than they are getting. I can't really say what they are getting from the root tabs, because I have never used them. Do you have a phosphate test kit?

Standard 10 Gallon (20 x12x12).
Low tech, Sand substrate.
Eheim 2211, and Aqueon Quietflow 10.
Finnex Stingray LED, 20" above substrate
2 Anubias Nana Petite, Christmas moss.
4 Halequin Rasborahs, 5 RCS.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 01:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
If your dosing NPK your dosing nitrates. Also. Nitrates DO NOT cause algae. Nitrates are one of the more needed nutrients in a planted tank. If you follow a non limiting dosing regiment like Estimative index aka EI, then you will be adding nitrate in non limiting amounts. I use EI in my tanks and my nitrates vary depending on the specific tank, but some are around 100ppm some are as low as 20ppm. No ill effects on livestock or algae issues. Algae issues normally start with light being to much, then co2. Some algae will actually happen do to low nitrates. You do want to have a reset of the system and this is what water changes are for. Sounds like your water already has higher nitrates. Doesn't sound like your generating a lot in the tank though. The holes in hour leaves and like are telling you more then likely you have a nutrient deficit issue. This is what EI helps solve as no nutrients are lacking.

Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode