Shrimp, frogs, fish for a high pH tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Shrimp, frogs, fish for a high pH tank

I'm setting up a low tech, high pH 10g with a limestone centerpiece and plan to add a small number of shrimp, dwarf frogs, and small fish.

Would dark green Babaulti, fire reds, or pumpkins tolerate the conditions? I'm not looking to establish a breeding colony, although hatching enough to keep the population stale would be great.

Any fish suggestions? I doubt white cloud or micro rasboras would work and ember tetras won't.

Snail Glades,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Limestone? I think the only thing you could keep in there are Rift Lake Chiclids...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 04:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Tell us what the PH is. 8?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Local pH is 7.6 but I'm not sure how high that will creep with the limestone directly in the tank. I'm setting it up this week.

Limestone springs in different areas of the country support crayfish, eels, snails, and various fish - even flounder - so there's gotta be something beside those little cichlid sociopaths...

Snail Glades,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
with a high pH, generally african cichlids do well. tetras if they are amazonian which most are tend to do better in lower pHs though some are quite hardy.

|

|

RAOK Club #72
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 07:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
frogs and fish will eat the shrimp no doubt. I'd drop shrimp if you want that setup.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The dwarf frogs and fish I'm looking for would be too small or otherwise unable to eat adult shrimp. I may have to go with amanos and glass shrimp, but the kid I'm setting this up for is adamant about the animal types.

Snail Glades,
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A couple of suggestions. First, I wouldn't consider 7.6 a high pH, I'd describe it as more the high side of neutral. Almost everything is going to do fine at that pH. Limestone may or may not have a major effect on the water, depending on the frequency of water changes. Easiest thing is just to skip the centerpiece. If that isn't negotiable, I'd try it in the tank. Watch the water parameters closely for a couple of months. At this point the water has probably reached a long term equilibrium, and if the water parameters haven't gone too far out, then it isn't likely they will.

Dave

Wishing I had a pithy quote
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Those are good points. The centerpiece is not negotiable - little guy found it himself and asked me to create a tank - and 7.6 pH is the highest reading on my test kit. Anecdotally, I think it's around that value but could be higher. Until I get a high pH kit, I'm only guessing.

WCs would be 25%, once per month.

Snail Glades,
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
dwarf frogs should be fine with a high pH, mine have been moved around in tanks between 6.5 and 8 and always made it. They should fine with small fish that don't mind a high pH. The thing with dwarf frogs is feeding. They are nearly blind and only go by smell, so you have to spot feed them. I use a food dish and they get trained to go to the food dish for feeding time. I can tell if it's their day to feed them as they as are hanging out in the dish looking at me, like hey. They usually don't do well on pellet foods, so I feed them frozen blood worms every other day with some frozen brine or mystic shrimp mixed in a few times a week. I use a turkey baster to feed them. Don't fill the tank to the top as they can escape if the water is filled to the brim. Very little water movement. They like to float on the water surface if it's still and any current will prevent them from doing so and they love to do that for hours at a time, so it probably stresses them if they can't. Feeding with fish and shrimp and snails becomes a challenge as well because they are slow to get to and find food and you don't want a bunch of fish eating all the bloodworms, so look for a top level fish that doesn't usually go near the bottom of the tank and feed flakes to the fish then the frogs at the same time so the fish are busy. The smaller the fish, the better as well as they won't go after so many bloodworms. My frogs have their own tank for all the reason above, feeding competition with fish, keeping the water filtered, yet still, etc.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
1 frog, 3 platies, 5 ghost shrimp. Not the most exciting stocklist, but it's the most problem-free one for a 10gal with all three types of animal.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions and frog info. I'll pass it along to my "client" and see whether he prefers an all-frog tank or something more conventional.

Maybe nerites, being so slow, would work well with frogs?

Snail Glades,
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 12:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions and frog info. I'll pass it along to my "client" and see whether he prefers an all-frog tank or something more conventional.

Maybe nerites, being so slow, would work well with frogs?
Mine do fine with ramshorns and I had ghost shrimp in there. They died, crappy fishstore quality ones, they usually don't live long. I had them with fish before, they were never a problem, tetras and platies were fine with them. It's just the spot feeding of them that isn't for everyone, but if it's for your kid, maybe it will give him some feeling of responsibility if he can keep them fed properly. I feed mine every 2 days.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusiongt View Post
Tell us what the PH is. 8?
The new high range test kit shows somewhere between 7.8-8.0. No plant losses in the first month since setup. I'd just topped off with 1-2 gallons of tap though, to replace a month's worth of evaporation.

Snail Glades,
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Nerite snails would do well in your setup. As for fish, you'd be best off with livebearers, as they thrive in hardwater.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode