Types of shrimps that does well in warm water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Types of shrimps that does well in warm water?

I'm planing to put some shrimp in my 60-f when I flood it with shrimps that can handle warm temp around 80's. What are the different types out there that can tolerate high temp?

Ca is so hot and some times without heater during the summer my tank go up to mid 80's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NIKON Pimp Club #063
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 04:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
My tank reaches about 90 and the amano and ghost shrimp seem okay..so far.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 04:46 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My RCS thrived and breed in a 30°c tank.

Journal:

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 05:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenRC51 View Post
I'm planing to put some shrimp in my 60-f when I flood it with shrimps that can handle warm temp around 80's. What are the different types out there that can tolerate high temp?

Ca is so hot and some times without heater during the summer my tank go up to mid 80's.
get a fan and keep the nicer shrimp xD

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 06:23 AM
Algae Grower

my RCS is doing well in hot weather
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 06:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
The Caridina babaulti complex from India does well at warmer temperatures, and so do Sulawesi shrimp.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananariot View Post
get a fan and keep the nicer shrimp xD
Fan only get a few degree lower. Probably gonna need a chiller for summer but that kinda expensive.

I do have some CRS/CBS, right now my tank is 80.4f. They seem to be ok. It wasn't even that hot today in CA. I'm think at the hottest it might go up to 82-85f. If they can survive that then I'll just put the CRS/CBS in the 60-f.

BTW, the shrimps are in a 9g.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuni View Post
The Caridina babaulti complex from India does well at warmer temperatures, and so do Sulawesi shrimp.
Where do i get some of those?

NIKON Pimp Club #063

Last edited by KenRC51; 07-08-2012 at 06:35 AM. Reason: loeft out stuff
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 06:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
CRS can live in 80 degrees but I don't think they thrive in it. I've had them from 78, 76, and found them being most active at 74-75. The other guides I've read also had similar results of them liking cooler temps.

Right now I just have my CRS in a tank with no heater but the temp never drops below 74. The swings of 74-78 are okay for them.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusiongt View Post
CRS can live in 80 degrees but I don't think they thrive in it. I've had them from 78, 76, and found them being most active at 74-75. The other guides I've read also had similar results of them liking cooler temps.

Right now I just have my CRS in a tank with no heater but the temp never drops below 74. The swings of 74-78 are okay for them.
Well see when it get hotter how high the temp will jump. If they don't die then I guess its ok since summer is only a few months long. It will have the rest of the 3 season to thrive and breed.

NIKON Pimp Club #063
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 07:05 AM
Algae Grower

Im sure ghost shrimp will do fine but theyre boring, im more than positive red cherry shrimp will do fine, just keep a lot of flow because when it gets hot fish get slower and can sometimes become aggressive depending what kind of fish you have
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGreen View Post
Im sure ghost shrimp will do fine but theyre boring, im more than positive red cherry shrimp will do fine, just keep a lot of flow because when it gets hot fish get slower and can sometimes become aggressive depending what kind of fish you have
No fish in there just ottos.

I don't really want ghost shrimps. Would rilis be ok in warmer temps? I know that online profile says 23c that like 73.5 but what was the highest temp have members kept them at?

NIKON Pimp Club #063
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Neos do just fine in 80F water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode