75 tank turning into cooking pot, need to change plans, ideas? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/97%)
Exclamation 75 tank turning into cooking pot, need to change plans, ideas?

My 20g long shrimp tank and my 75 metaframe tank are in the poorly built laundry room. We have added window tint that helps reflect light and heat, but the roof needs to be insulated, walls torn off and rebuilt with new insulation. That won't happen during the summer and today the tank has reached a crazy 95F. I turned off the lights, tossed in a frozen 2l bottle and am thinking of moving all these fish into my 110 tall and turning this tank into a terrarium. It leaks, thus it cannot be in the house if it's a fish tank. That room has a concrete slab as the floor, so it's not too big of a deal when the tank leaks a little from time to time.

So I'm not sure what to do, I have a lot of plants in there I don't want to loose. I guess I have to put back up my 40 breeder in the living room, turn the 75 into a frog or idk tank and move the shrimp into the 40. I really don't want to buy/breed crickets again, they smell sooooo bad! But at the same time, I love Gray tree frogs and cannot keep this tank as an aquarium!

I guess I need y'alls help as to what I should do. I'm going to sell off the plant doubles that are in that tank and the rest go into the 40. But what should go into the 75? It could be left empty, but then it risks being used as storage and that is not something I want. I could move the tank into the house and into the bedroom or office on the second floor if there won't be mass amounts of water in it. That would free up the laundry room for real storage, lol.

What do y'all do with your 75g or other similar sized tanks?

♡ Forever Farms Babydoll Southdown Sheep ♡
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
if you cannot keep the tank as an aquarium, then I say keep it for some other sort of animal. Personally, I LOVE reptiles, and the footprint of a 75 works perfectly for a lot of common, easy to keep species.

If lizards are your thing, you could do a group of nearly any type of gecko that you would like. I would recommend leopard geckos or crested geckos personally. You could also keep bearded dragons as well, since I know that depth is perfect for beardies, and perhaps since it is a 4 foot log tank you could keep a pair or a trio. A tank that size is also adequate for an ackies monitor as well.

If you like lizards, you could keep anything up to the size of a common boa in that footprint.

However, if reptiles are not something you want, you could always convert the tank into a little vivarium dedicated to carnivorous plants.

All in all, if you decide to change the purpose of this tank from aquarium to vivarium, do your research on whatever livestock you plan on keeping. I know this is a planted fish tank forum, but if you don;t think you can keep it as a fish tank then don't try and fight it.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
You need some fans blowing over the water surface to help with evaporation and the water will cool a bit but if you can't put an AC unit in that window you would need a chiller(s). The only othe thing you can do is get a cooler and make a long filter hose that travels through the cooler filled with ice water, you can save milk jugs, 2 liter bottles etc. to make ice.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Or start moving the tanks into a cooler part of the house with AC.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
Or start moving the tanks into a cooler part of the house with AC.
Again, tank leaks.

Room cannot have AC, it is not insulated and would be a waste of money.

There is a fan in that room, not over the water, but in general to keep air moving. The lights on that tank also contributed to the water heating up.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Can run lights at night instead when it's cooler and a fan blowing across the water will help at lot with forcing evaporation, which cools the water. I can get 5-10F drop in my tanks with fans over them. I wired up small PC fans.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 11:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'd get a small room air conditioner (unless that's worthless) or a chiller. I think a lot of people love those. Your tank leaks? This might be the perfect time to move your fish and reseal it with Silicone. I'm sure your local store could advice you on how to do it. If you could get it well sealed, you'd be able to get a few more years out of it. There might be a local aquarium store (mom and pops) who'd even do it for a fee.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

You guys are not reading the thread....

It is a Metaframe tank, it is tar only. Has a slate bottom.

The room is not insulated, wasting money on a window unit is just that, total waste. All that cold air will just blow out the crappy walls, holes, gaps and out the metal roof.

I wanted to know what I should put into the 75, kinds of frogs or non-aquatic plants and the such. I am moving the 75 and the 20 into a 40 that is in the living room. Once we get to redoing the laundry room, then I can turn the 75 back into a fish tank.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 12:52 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Turn the tank into a jungle terrarium. It leaks anyways.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Fluval filters, all but the FX5 and other large canisters, suck balls! The newer Fluval 305 has a leak in the seal band, both have an issue with air and no longer moving water after a few days. The smaller, 205 does a better job at just powering through. Just cleaned the 305 with the band leak and it will not pull water...ugh! Ridiculous. Guess I need more 'knock off' Sunsuns! Now there is a real filter!

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Turn the tank into a jungle terrarium. It leaks anyways.
Yup...need to do something like that. Photo ideas?

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by secuono View Post
Fluval filters, all but the FX5 and other large canisters, suck balls! The newer Fluval 305 has a leak in the seal band, both have an issue with air and no longer moving water after a few days. The smaller, 205 does a better job at just powering through. Just cleaned the 305 with the band leak and it will not pull water...ugh! Ridiculous. Guess I need more 'knock off' Sunsuns! Now there is a real filter!
I agree with you on the Sunsuns. The pieces are cheap plastic but I love mine because they just work and work silently. My Marineland C Series are expensive junk.

Did the frozen water bottles help much? It seems like those and if you moved the fan so it blows across the top should help. If you can raise the filter output or use a power head to get some movement at the water surface that should help too.

As for what to put in it, you could do a terrarium with several Anoles.

Malaysian Trumpet Snails: JUST SAY NO!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 01:26 AM
Planted Member

Blow air across the surface. Evaporation=rapid cooling.

Emergency solution, cooling loop pumped through a cooler of ice.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 01:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem
If you do reptiles, please do not house bearded dragons together. They are solitary creatures and should not be housed together, sometimes groups of females can get along, but I strongly recommend against it. Ive seen it go horribly wrong one to many times.

I think a nice living viv would look amazing with some dart frogs in that size tank.

"And 5, very important 5... Don't let me eat pears.. I HATE PEARS."
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsword View Post
I agree with you on the Sunsuns. The pieces are cheap plastic but I love mine because they just work and work silently. My Marineland C Series are expensive junk.

Did the frozen water bottles help much? It seems like those and if you moved the fan so it blows across the top should help. If you can raise the filter output or use a power head to get some movement at the water surface that should help too.

As for what to put in it, you could do a terrarium with several Anoles.

Bottle melted in 20min or less, so it didn't help at all. Added a second, same thing, no temp dif. Even topped up cold well water, nothing.
I have a Betta in there, so my power head I have would fling him around and then shred him up... :/

My Sunsun cracked a little screw, but that thing shoves water up 4ft to my 110g tall tank, so I love it! That tank also has a Fluval FX5 on it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode