inconsistent pH due to Co2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
inconsistent pH due to Co2

My pH when i have Co2 running is like 5.5 and then when not running the pH raises to 7 or maybe 7.5 Is this safe for my shrimps? How do members here keep their pH at a constent pH level?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NIKON Pimp Club #063
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mine does that too. I actually found a balance and just leave it on low all day and night. My filter agitates the surface so I get O2 in there. Now its more stable.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie
This is what happens when CO2 is added to the water. Out of curiosity, whats your KH/GH usually at?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just add more buffer, then it will take more CO2 to change the PH.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickerie View Post
This is what happens when CO2 is added to the water. Out of curiosity, whats your KH/GH usually at?
GH 4-5
KH 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokaah View Post
Mine does that too. I actually found a balance and just leave it on low all day and night. My filter agitates the surface so I get O2 in there. Now its more stable.
I have my co2 inject while my light comes on and when lights goes off the co2 shuts off and my air pump turns on. Maybe I should try that leaving the co2 on 24/7 but at a lower rate and bubbles on half day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptyochromis View Post
Just add more buffer, then it will take more CO2 to change the PH.
I don't really want to add stuff in my tank because its a CRS/CBS tank.

NIKON Pimp Club #063
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 06:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenRC51 View Post
GH 4-5
KH 0
This is your real problem right here. Your water has Zero buffering capabilities. You do need to change this in order for it to work. Even people that use RO water that has a zero and zero for GH/KH add back in buffers and conditioners to harden the water a little. Even high end shrimp folks. Even without Co2, Just as water goes on in the tank, due to zero buffering ability it will have the natural nack to want to have the PH fall. In fact with no buffer even without Co2 your tank can be in danger of a crash and it would take your PH down hard. This is much worse on livestock then PH swing from Co2. MOST all livestock adapt and easily deal with the swing caused by Co2 with not much ill.

Quote:
I have my co2 inject while my light comes on and when lights goes off the co2 shuts off and my air pump turns on. Maybe I should try that leaving the co2 on 24/7 but at a lower rate and bubbles on half day.

I don't really want to add stuff in my tank because its a CRS/CBS tank.
in your case it wont really matter much if you leave it on. or cycle it off. Why?? Because again your buffer is Zero. All that will happen is your PH will fall to the low spot it is and then stay there. That is probably not a good thing to do to your livestock.

Do you fertilize your tank? How much light are you using? If your not medium to high light may not need the Co2 even though I feel in any tank its a benefit.

If you fertilize your plants adding buffer to keep your PH sane is no different. It could mean adding a substrate or something to it that adds balance and some buffer. And I think if you look what other Shrimp folks are doing in this case.. they add a buffer.

Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway

Last edited by Aquaticfan; 07-07-2012 at 06:01 AM. Reason: addition
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 06:02 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
That's very soft water.

Do make sure you have decent surface agitation - you would not want to wake up to a tank full of dead shrimp if you run co2 24x7.

Adding some backing soda might not hurt anything ether.

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaticfan View Post
This is your real problem right here. Your water has Zero buffering capabilities. You do need to change this in order for it to work. Even people that use RO water that has a zero and zero for GH/KH add back in buffers and conditioners to harden the water a little. Even high end shrimp folks. Even without Co2, Just as water goes on in the tank, due to zero buffering ability it will have the natural nack to want to have the PH fall. In fact with no buffer even without Co2 your tank can be in danger of a crash and it would take your PH down hard. This is much worse on livestock then PH swing from Co2. MOST all livestock adapt and easily deal with the swing caused by Co2 with not much ill.

in your case it wont really matter much if you leave it on. or cycle it off. Why?? Because again your buffer is Zero. All that will happen is your PH will fall to the low spot it is and then stay there. That is probably not a good thing to do to your livestock.

Do you fertilize your tank? How much light are you using? If your not medium to high light may not need the Co2 even though I feel in any tank its a benefit.

If you fertilize your plants adding buffer to keep your PH sane is no different. It could mean adding a substrate or something to it that adds balance and some buffer. And I think if you look what other Shrimp folks are doing in this case.. they add a buffer.

I don't add fert for my plants. Its just some fissiden, micro sword and DHG. I do have aquasoil, I thought that the aquasoil acts like a buffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
That's very soft water.

Do make sure you have decent surface agitation - you would not want to wake up to a tank full of dead shrimp if you run co2 24x7.

Adding some backing soda might not hurt anything ether.
My agitation is kinda weak if I don't have my air bubble running. I have a small hang over tank filter. I don't plan to keep these CRS/CBS in this 9g tank for a long time. I'm waiting for my 60-f to get flooded first.

NIKON Pimp Club #063
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
id really just try baking soda(sodium bicarbonate) and bump up ur kh, i just had this on one of my tanks started noticing plants failing and a couple fish, my ph dropped to 5 did some water changes wasnt doing anything idk why so had to add some thing to help buffer as my water wasnt doing enough just a little of that and poof tank back in shape. idk if my ph dropped so low that it caused my soil to start to go anaerobic, i can only attribute to this as the soil was only about a month old from being replaced, and after this my plants root structures are 2x as good as they were with the other. funny how 80¢ can help fix your issue right?

you should really text your water out of tap *if thats what u use and know what ur gh kh is from there also so if it happens again u know that it takes ( ) that much time to use, normal wc should fix but kinda need to know what it is from there so u can get a better view of everything thats just me.

Last edited by HypnoticAquatic; 07-07-2012 at 07:31 AM. Reason: spelling
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

I hope this helps somehow.

I have CRS SS, CBS SSS, OEBTs and blue velvets (and crs/cbs babies) in this tank:

I dose 1/6 of PPSpro daily and I have co2 24/7 at 1bps.

I don't use alkaline buffers.

PH is constant 5.5 day and night.
KH is constantly less than 1
GH is 6, with seachem equilibrium and mosura mineral plus.
NO3 is less than 5
PO4 is less than .5
Temp is 70F
TDS is 150

How is ph constant? Well this is what i think does the trick:

Big Under-gravel filter and ~5" akadama drl substrate and co2 24/7.

Lots of filtration and water flow and lots of surface agitation WITHOUT splashing.

I change water when I clean my canisters only which is every 4-6 months. I only top off with DI water (0 TDS).

For what I understand ph swings are not a big concern for adult shrimp but it is for shrimplets. That said, the most successful shrimp keepers/breeders I know that use co2, use it 24/7.

Edit: I just want to add that this tank is so easy to maintain that is actually boring. WC 2-3 times a year, trimming every 2 months, feeding every other day...zzZZZzz

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!

Last edited by pejerrey; 07-07-2012 at 04:14 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I don't add fert for my plants. Its just some fissiden, micro sword and DHG. I do have aquasoil, I thought that the aquasoil acts like a buffer.

It does act like a buffer.. BUT to lower your PH not hold it or increase it by increasing KH. Aquasoil will reduce your PH.

Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 08:14 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Are you using RO? Try mixing some tap in your RO
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
And just to add, if you're really serious about this "I don't really want to add stuff in my tank because its a CRS/CBS tank." - then you'll want to just get rid of Co2. But like others said, if you want the main focus to be on plants with shrimp secondary, then turn on co2 24/7 like the above posts say.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptyochromis View Post
Are you using RO? Try mixing some tap in your RO
Yes, its all R/O water. I'm gonna test my tap and maybe do a gallon of WC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey View Post
I hope this helps somehow.

I have CRS SS, CBS SSS, OEBTs and blue velvets (and crs/cbs babies) in this tank:

I dose 1/6 of PPSpro daily and I have co2 24/7 at 1bps.

I don't use alkaline buffers.

PH is constant 5.5 day and night.
KH is constantly less than 1
GH is 6, with seachem equilibrium and mosura mineral plus.
NO3 is less than 5
PO4 is less than .5
Temp is 70F
TDS is 150

How is ph constant? Well this is what i think does the trick:

Big Under-gravel filter and ~5" akadama drl substrate and co2 24/7.

Lots of filtration and water flow and lots of surface agitation WITHOUT splashing.

I change water when I clean my canisters only which is every 4-6 months. I only top off with DI water (0 TDS).

For what I understand ph swings are not a big concern for adult shrimp but it is for shrimplets. That said, the most successful shrimp keepers/breeders I know that use co2, use it 24/7.

Edit: I just want to add that this tank is so easy to maintain that is actually boring. WC 2-3 times a year, trimming every 2 months, feeding every other day...zzZZZzz
Thanks, its nice to see someone else setup. WC 2-3 times a year? Won't you have ammonia problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaticfan View Post
It does act like a buffer.. BUT to lower your PH not hold it or increase it by increasing KH. Aquasoil will reduce your PH.
Yeah, I tought my aquasoil lowers my ph and has a buffer to keep it lower but some how it always jumps back up to 7-7.5 ph. I have a drift wood and a small 2 inch syuri stone but that stone was add in after I have that pH swing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusiongt View Post
And just to add, if you're really serious about this "I don't really want to add stuff in my tank because its a CRS/CBS tank." - then you'll want to just get rid of Co2. But like others said, if you want the main focus to be on plants with shrimp secondary, then turn on co2 24/7 like the above posts say.
Thanks

NIKON Pimp Club #063

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode