Help! I got Ick in my tank! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Help! I got Ick in my tank!

I bought a bunch of tetras a few weeks back. Two of them died and I looked everywhere for them, and I could never find them. A few days ago after I got back from vacation, I noticed I all my fish have white spots.

After doing a little research, I realized they have Ick. I'm treating them with Tetra Lifeguard. Today is day 1 of the 5 day treatment and I lost another one today. HELP!

Any tips would help out a lot... Did these parasites come from the long lost dead fish? Sigh, I'm bummed out.

Also, I was wondering if I can transport all my plants into another tank without worrying about the parasite transferring as well...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Oh and a little snail showed up out of no where...

Where the heck did he come from?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
You have to eradicate the parasite from your tank before you can move any plants.

Snail: probably an egg or very small snails carried in on your plants. You may soon have more, so decide if you want snails in your tank.

I know it's very difficult for a new and usually impatient aquarium hobbyist, but you might want to explore getting a quarantine tank for new arrivals. Over the long run, it will pay for itself in saved aggravation, frustration, and saved fish.

Lots of information on curing Ich out there:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/ich.php

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/ich.php

Last edited by Powchekny; 07-06-2012 at 12:54 AM. Reason: grammar

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I've never used meds, I just raised my heater to 83-85 slowly. It kills them every time I've tried it.

Good luck!

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
40 breeder reef

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank for your quick response guys.

I just lost another tetra.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Yup, stopped using meds and instead just started SLOWLY raising the temp to 86F

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I lost another Cardinal Tetra this morning.

Temp is up to 83 and rising.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
aww, don't lose hope - we've all been there! My beloved congos had it once and I was freaking out! Raising the temp took it all out though, thankfully.

Even if you lose every fish - goodness forbid - you'll still be wiping the nasty disease out of your tank this way.

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank
40 breeder reef

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Lost 2 more today. The tank is up to 85 F. This is day 2 of treatment.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 01:55 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'm just finishing a treatment on my tank. Got a shipment of 14 Rummynose Tetras that were infested with ich. I drip acclimated them in a bucket and didn't notice it until I put them in my tank. Lost all but 3 Rummys, but no other losses. I just did the heat method and am very pleased with the results. Stinks to lose fish, but good to know you can eradicate it. For reference, it took 12 days for me to see no more signs of ich. Be patient and keep the heat up for at least 2 weeks. Make sure you have good aeration as well to keep oxygen levels up. Good luck and hang in there!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 03:53 AM
Planted Member

I had excellent results using Ich Attack by Kordon curing a small outbreak in my tank just last week. It claims to be all natural. I used it mainly because it seems less harsh on fish and won't harm snails at all. Coupling that with an increase in temperature got rid of the Ich in about 4 days.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 05:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
i used coppersafe when i had ich. only reason was i had honeycomb cats which apparently are salt sensitive. coppersafe is milder from what i read. if you dont have any senstive fish though, heat treatment would suffice. raised the temp to 86 for almost 2 weeks. its best to keep the temperature up (with or without meds) until a few days after you no longer spot any white spots. for me, i kept my temperature up for about 3 days past the last visible sign of ich. throughout treatment i lost 1 fish, the fish who contracted it first.

|

|

RAOK Club #72

Last edited by pandamonium; 07-07-2012 at 05:47 AM. Reason: add
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 05:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Since you don't have any salt sensitive fish, I would use a salt treatment + raised temps. No need for medicine if your fish don't need it.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 06:14 AM
Algae Grower

May I ask what you did with your dead fish? Down the toilet, buried, sushi etc.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

This is day 3 of my Tetra Complete Treatment. I now have the water temperature up to 85 F. I have 3 Remmynose Tetras, 1 Cardinal Tetra, & my pleco left. I started with about 2 schools of 8 & a pleco.

Thanks for your help everyone and I will keep you all updated. I haven't considered salt. What type of salt should I use?

I ended up flushing all the fish and they dropped like flies...

At this point, I've come to the point where I'm ready to start over but I need to eradicate Ick from my tank first so I will take your advice and be patient.

I will transfer the plants, rocks, and wood into another tank after the Ick is gone. How will I know for sure? Any advice on the transferring? I would hate to just end up transferring the ICK into another tank.

Last edited by tylergvolk; 07-07-2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: grammer

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode