Starting 20L today. Here's what I plan on doing. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Starting 20L today. Here's what I plan on doing.

Well, decided I wanna go dirt and sand cap with the 20L I'm also going to be sprinkling in some Osmocote Plus before the dirt goes in. I have and awesome chunk of flagstone that Ill be breaking into a few smaller pieces for the hardscape. As for plants ill be transferring what few I have from my ten gallon which are two Amazon sword plants and two little stems of wisteria. Ill also be taking some anacharis out of my 40B and maybe a little runner of Jungle Val.

For lighting I'm going to use two stoplights with either two 20w CFLs or two 13w CFLs.

I want to transfer my fish into it right away too but not sure if I should but i will be using a fully seeded filter from the get go on this tank.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Hate speech? Lol

Thanks for looking ladies and gents

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

40B - Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would swim some feeders for 14 days or so to help the cycle along...get everything stable before the classic fish go in.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
As far as transferring the filter make sure you only have the same amount of bio load as the old tank. I think fresh dirt puts a lot of ammonia out so be ready to dose some prime if you get a spike and your fish are already in.
I'm not an expert on lighting but I would start with the lower watt cfl if you don't want high light and then go up if you need to.
Good luck and keep us posted

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyTR View Post

For lighting I'm going to use two stoplights with either two 20w CFLs or two 13w CFLs.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
red yellow or green??.....

ha ha ha jk im sure you meant sHoplights, i wonder how much wattage run through stop lights though..... hmmm that would be a cool setup on a big tank...

the best thing i think you should do, is use as much beneficial bacteria thats still alive, unless that filter your wanting to use is still humid or in use it wont benefit the tank, the beneficial bacteria dies very easily... your best bet for a quick cycle is what i did on my 90 gal

1. feeder fish, over feed just a bit, but not frequently for a 20g i would say get maybe 10

2. try to temperarily put a bunch of stemmed plants in there so they can help speed up the process

3. get some tetra safe start, there are a lot of primers, or "instant cycle liquids" that say they are awesome.... fact is about 90% of them suck... get some TSS. its awesome and works rapidly if you try this method you should only have to cycle a few days.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I meant shoplights btw lol funny phones.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Banned

The filter I plan on using is currently being used on the 10G with four serpae tetra. I wanted to transfer it all over from the ten gallon fish and ALL. Except for the substrate which ill probably bag some up and put it in the twenty to help.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you are using vertically mounted cfl in a clip on shoplight I wouldn't go over 13watt if you are low tech. I have a diy hood with 3 5000K cfls on my 20L and I might have to change one to 9watts and shorted the photoperiod cuz I am getting algae. So you could start with 2 vertical 13watt cfls (easy to find) and see how it goes.

Last edited by JoeGREEEN; 07-05-2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: explaining details
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for the heads up man. And yea ill just be using those simple clip on dome shop lights.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode