what, now my tanks are MAKING me do water changes? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
what, now my tanks are MAKING me do water changes?

LET THIS THREAD MARK MY FIRST PLANTED TANK EPIC FAIL

so i always read those "epic DIY failure" threads in good spirit, feeling sorry for the people who had their tanks bust, or their buckets knock over...or their entire tanks drain out onto the floor.
oh, but i never thought it could happen to me. nope, never.

and then it DID.
i guess i made the biggest error in judgment of my life today, when i decided that since the DIY CO2 wasn't working (i think the water in the bottle was too hot when i dropped the yeast in, or i added too much oil or something), i would disconnect the bottle. ...and leave the airline pushed into the intake of my filter.
WHOOPS.
so you can see where that was leading.
that was like an hour and a half ago.
about half an hour ago, i thought to myself: "gee, i have to use the restroom!"
and boy, am i glad i had to go when i did...
it was like something from a horror movie... i walked to my bathroom (where my tank is situated, THANK GOD) and the filter sounded REALLY loud. like...the water level was low! and i stepped farther in, and my feet were wet! and i looked at my tank.... and water had drained out! and then i noticed the cap of the DIY CO2 bottle...with the airline still in it. and a puddle of water coming from the airline.
oh man, it was NOT pretty. water EVERYWHERE, all over my bathroom. i tossed a lot of things, used pretty much every single towel i had...
but... lesson learned! and i'm glad it wasn't my BEDROOM tank i did this to. oh geez, that would not be good.

when i refilled the tank, i found about 2.5-3 gallons of 10 had drained ;-;
my MTS all seem alright though (thank god i didn't have any fish in yet...). and i think my heater shut itself off, it didn't seem burnt, melted, or otherwise damaged.

everything is pretty much dry now, and on the upside... my bathroom is the cleanest it's been in ages!
now to pray that my parents don't find out, because if they did...my current tanks will be GONE and i'll never get another one again ;-;

okay, just had to chronicle that...

Last edited by CatB; 07-05-2012 at 04:25 AM. Reason: yeah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 04:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Siphons are dangerous..
Sumps still boggle my mind sometimes - I see people with no fail safe and they are running a full siphon and praying that their pump never fails or the power goes out.
Scary stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
Siphons are dangerous..
Sumps still boggle my mind sometimes - I see people with no fail safe and they are running a full siphon and praying that their pump never fails or the power goes out.
Scary stuff.
they ARE oh my geez. that was an unexpected siphon though, created by the intake of an HOB and some airline tubing (and past that, my bad judgment)... scary stuff (indeed)! <-- lol didn't realize i used your phrasing

Last edited by CatB; 07-05-2012 at 04:35 AM. Reason: indeed

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 05:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie
This is why we use check valves :O

Btw, what oil are you using for DIY CO2?
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickerie View Post
This is why we use check valves :O

Btw, what oil are you using for DIY CO2?
yeeaaahh... i have them on my other tank, i was too dumb to pick any up for this one (i WILL now).

just a couple drops of cooking oil on the top, it works wonders for preventing any "scum" from building up/going into your bubble counter or tank
i put more in this one than the other, i think it may have caused the CO2 bubbles to not be able to get through...
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 05:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

Same thing happened to me. I unhooked diy co2 and the tank siphoned out 20% of the water luckily I caught it! A wet/dry vac helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 05:24 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Thank goodness you discovered it and not your parents!

These things just happen. I had a 29g tank self destruct on me one night. Sat there doing nothing and then all of a sudden —CRACK!— and water started pouring everywhere. The back glass cracked from the top to about 2" to the bottom. There was nothing I could do to stop it. And this was on carpet in a 3rd story apartment around 2am! I had to race home (the apartment was in addition to my house) to get my steam cleaner to suck up the water. It took about a week for the carpet and padding to be completely dry again.

Then there was the time when the hose fell off the python. Anyone feel like hosing down the bedroom walls and ceiling?

Or when I thought I'd release some of the pressure on my python by turning the knob halfway at the sink and halfway at the hose. Um.... fail. Even halfway pushes water through the python. Duh! This time it was my bathroom that got hosed down.

Or the time I was at a LFS talking to the owner when all of a sudden one of his tanks started overflowing. Yeah, it's not wise to be doing a water change while helping a talkative customer. At least his floors are clean now.

I could keep going all night with stories like this. The one thing that makes it all good is that it's just water. Even water from the tank is still good, healthy water. If a fish can live in it, then it can't hurt us that much.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired

Last edited by Complexity; 07-05-2012 at 05:25 AM. Reason: typo
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 05:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie
Lol. I was siphoning some water into a bucket cleaning my bettas tank once, took me until my feet were wet to notice the hose wasn't even in the bucket. Thats about the extent of my mishaps so far
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 05:40 AM
Planted Member

In my old house I had my tanks in the basement...where there was fortunately a sump pump.

...and it got a workout a couple times. Nowadays, with tanks set up on carpeted floors, upstairs and downstairs...no way I can pull and old school "oops" without it costing thousands.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Same thing happened to me. I unhooked diy co2 and the tank siphoned out 20% of the water luckily I caught it! A wet/dry vac helps.
ah, but my parents would have noticed if i had taken the shop-vac from the garage! so towels. lots and lots of towels...and rags...and paper towels...
so glad the floor is tile.

Quote:
Thank goodness you discovered it and not your parents!
oh wow, i know, right?? i'd be in so much trouble right now...

Quote:
The one thing that makes it all good is that it's just water. Even water from the tank is still good, healthy water. If a fish can live in it, then it can't hurt us that much.
that's true, but the tank of mine in question is in the middle of a fishless cycle with seeded media, and i fed the tank with flake food... it's pretty gross water. not entirely uninhabitable (i do have MTS), but full of nitrites and possibly ammonia... yech.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
Siphons are dangerous..
Scary stuff.
a drilled hole in the outflow is a great measure. that siphon breaks in 2 seconds or less on mine. best thing i ever did, cause every check valve i put on would hold the pressure but water would seep around the edges and slowly fill the sump up. i just break the siphon now

i would never run a full siphon on the drain line either. its too dangerous IMO and c02 is a whole lot easier to add than cleaning up water

Sump Pimp #7

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
You mention the heater shut itself down. You might want to watch that heater for a time when it begins to be needed again. While they do shut themselves down, it is often after the little plate of metal has been bent and they may not work any more. I buy used tanks and equipment and I often find the heater s are not what I call safe to use. I only trust them in the reserve water barrel until I see they truly do work right. When the outside temperature gets this warm, I disconnect all heaters as I know room temperature with lights and filters added will be plenty for the tank.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
You mention the heater shut itself down. You might want to watch that heater for a time when it begins to be needed again. While they do shut themselves down, it is often after the little plate of metal has been bent and they may not work any more. I buy used tanks and equipment and I often find the heater s are not what I call safe to use. I only trust them in the reserve water barrel until I see they truly do work right. When the outside temperature gets this warm, I disconnect all heaters as I know room temperature with lights and filters added will be plenty for the tank.
MANY +1's on not trusting the heater.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatB View Post
ah, but my parents would have noticed if i had taken the shop-vac from the garage! so towels. lots and lots of towels...and rags...and paper towels...
so glad the floor is tile.
but wont they notice all the rags, towels and paper towels are dirty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
MANY +1's on not trusting the heater.
ditto! my first tank came with a used heater, i used it not knowing anything about it. it worked great, until i turned the knob ever so slightly to bring the temp up on degree. when i came home from class my tank had gone from 75 to 91! haven't used a heater since

Will

on Facebook.

Last edited by Aquatic Delight; 07-05-2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: how do i type words?
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
I don't know why people even need heaters. I keep my house at 70 and my tanks are still too warm for a heater. Even my small 5g tank stays worm using the standard T5NO bulb that came with it (eclipse tank).

I started out buying heaters because it seemed they were needed since everyone else used them. Then I just stopped using them, thinking maybe I'd need them in the winter. After a while, I just got rid of them all. Just no point in having them.

I wonder how many people use heaters like I did, thinking they need one because everyone else has one, but not knowing their tanks would be fine without one.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired

Tags
diy co2 problem, diy fail, mistake, tank drain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode