Water changes on large tanks? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)
Water changes on large tanks?

I'm not fond of water changes, and I haven't done one on my new 75 gallon because it is so large. How do I do it without having to fill up buckets and drag them around everywhere? Can I stick the hose right in the tank and put dechlorinator in at the same time? It's so warm here my tap water is warmer than my tank water, which is 82 degrees. Is that a problem? I've always seen it's better to do water changes with colder water. It seems so difficult to do water changes on such a large tank.

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
U can always use a python if your close to a sink.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval Pimp #37
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Just use the hose, I drain my 90 down half way, dump dechlor and fill with the hose.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 09:41 PM

i use the python for water changes on my 110 gallon, takes a while but a whole lot easier than lugging 40 gallons across the house!
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Hah, oh man. My 72 is right next to a window, so I siphon it halfway down with a siphon sticking right out the window. Then I just take a little 3-4g bucket and start going back and forth to the bathroom in the next room : (

Hose from the backyard can reach, but barely... maybe Ill try that next time.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 11:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Get a large garbage can with a caddy style wheeled device. Rubbermaid Brute is a good one. They are available in different sizes. I have a 32 gallon and a 44 gallon.
The 44 would get you closer to a 50% water change. If the hose is close but not quite you can fill the can as close as you reasonably can get to the tank, then roll the garbage can closer to the tank. (if the floor is not carpet).
Then use a fountain pump to get the water up from the garbage can into the tank.
If the floor is carpet, then get a longer piece of tubing that will reach from the closest approach of the garbage can to the tank.

Or get another hose to connect to your existing hose. Get a bucket to rest the connection on, hose-to-hose connections seem more prone to leaking.

Last edited by Diana; 07-04-2012 at 11:09 PM. Reason: more info
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaDaWolf View Post
Hah, oh man. My 72 is right next to a window, so I siphon it halfway down with a siphon sticking right out the window. Then I just take a little 3-4g bucket and start going back and forth to the bathroom in the next room : (
Hose from the backyard can reach, but barely... maybe Ill try that next time.
+1 on this
I myself use a long garden hose (bought for this pourpose only) and remove the shower snake and attach the hose to the mixer tap directly (the brand of hose i have "hozelok" has a spigot tap adaptor with it) using the spigot adaptor.
i tell you now it will change the way you look at water changes forever.
dont worry about treating the water just dose with prime for the full amount of your tank before you refill.

Canon Pimp Club #003
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
"Living in the lap of luxury isn`t bad, except you never know when luxury is going to stand up." Orson Welles

Last edited by robbowal; 07-04-2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: spelling
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
What a timely question for me - I set up a 125g tank recently, and the water changes are a pain! (I use a two gallon bucket, one load at a time)

I love the idea of using a wheeled garbage can for draining the tank - my living room and kitchen are tiled and I can wheel that water right out the door to the veggie garden : )

Also, I have a Python type unit, but none of my faucets have a way to connect it - the faucets aren't threaded, and the various attachments won't fit/stay on. Has anyone else had this problem? I hope to replace the kitchen sink this winter, and I need to find a faucet set that will work with the Python.

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
I have the Aqueon water changer. It was the best investment that I have made in this hobby. Makes water changes a snap.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If you are doing a water change on a 75, 25% will not be a big bother as long as the tank has a way to cool. My water is coming in too warm for me to like but on the 75's it will only raise the temp a couple degrees. As I have turned down the lighting on those tanks and opened covers, the temp works it's way back down and the fish don't get upset. When to add the dechlor really makes little difference in most cases. People do it before during or after without any harm. I do try to do mine first just so it is not forgotten.

Any chance of a DIY 3/4 pipe out the wall to drain in the yard? Works for me.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have my 90 drilled with an overflow and an water in outlets. I just turn on water and watch it go out. Takes about 5 sec.

Fluval Pimp #37
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 03:34 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
Also, I have a Python type unit, but none of my faucets have a way to connect it - the faucets aren't threaded, and the various attachments won't fit/stay on. Has anyone else had this problem? I hope to replace the kitchen sink this winter, and I need to find a faucet set that will work with the Python.
You can get a universal faucet adapter for the Python (I got one when I bought my Python years ago, but I've never needed to use it so can't comment on how well it works).

http://www.customaquatic.com/estore/...oduct=MA-PY69A

Last edited by Jules; 07-05-2012 at 03:35 AM. Reason: spelling
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 03:36 AM
Algae Grower

I own a 45 foot Aqueon water changer. With 6 tanks totaling 292 Gallons, i do weekly water changes of 30-50% on all of them, the fry tanks getting 200-500% water changes daily. Without the water changer i could not do this. Nice to be able to do a water change of 60-80 gallons and not have to do really anything, takes about 30 minutes but it's so easy!

125 Gallon Dirted/Fully Planted Community Tank
55 Gallon Amazon Tiger Barb Tank
29 Gallon CRS Shrimp Tank
20 Gallon Yellow Neo Tank
20 Gallon Half Moon Amazon Serpea Tank.
10 Gallon Blue Velvet Neo's
10 Gallon Betta/Cherry Neo Tank
10 Gallon Betta Tank

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 03:47 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveboos View Post
The fry tanks getting 200-500% water changes daily...
You do 5 100% water changes per day on your fry tanks?

What on earth are you raising that's messy enough to require that?!!
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 04:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
You do 5 100% water changes per day on your fry tanks?

What on earth are you raising that's messy enough to require that?!!
The water bill, good lord

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode