Excel issues? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Excel issues?

I keep reading over and over on this forum that people think Excel does "more harm than good". What harm does Excel do exactly, besides killing vals and moss balls? I haven't had any issues with it so I'm just curious if anyone's run across something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Doesn't even kill my Vals or moss balls, so I dunno. lol.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Used as recommended, there's not much harm it will do. However, we often use two and three times the recommended dose, which can definitely be harmful over time.

Furthermore, there are two different doses - startup and maintenance. The startup dose is fairly deadly if used regularly, and some people mistakenly do so.

In addition, the directions on the bottle (and I'm trying to quote this from memory) say to use it "daily or every other day". Which, clearly, is extremely precise, which doesn't help.

Finally, certain fauna - especially inverts - and some flora (the generally fragile types) don't respond well to Excel, though, again, the basic daily dose shouldn't do any harm.

*edit* One other thing - and this is mostly speculation on my part - the length of time that glutaraldehyde (the active ingredient in Excel) remains potent in the water likely varies. I've read anywhere from 12 to 48 hours, and that might depend on total amount added, lighting duration and intensity (it's photosensitive), and carbon uptake of the plants ...which, of course, will decrease in the event of an Excel overdose. So, if it's 12 or 24 hours, no problem. But if it's 48 hours, then you're dramatically increasing the total amount of glut in the water column if you dose daily. Just food for thought.

P.S. the most common use of glutaraldehyde is as a sanitizer (google Cidex and Metricide). Meaning, we use it to kill stuff. Remember that as you add it to your ecosystem.

Last edited by kevmo911; 07-04-2012 at 11:07 PM. Reason: added info

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
So basically, Excel isn't a problem. It is the misuse of Excel that's the problem.

BTW, safe, healthy drinking water can be used to kill people if the person was to drink too much. You truly can overdose on water from water intoxication. Does this mean we should worry about using water in our tanks?

As with most things in life, proper use is very safe while misuse and abuse is unsafe and potentially deadly.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
"Finally, certain fauna - especially inverts - and some flora (the generally fragile types) don't respond well to Excel"

When you say that, are you referring to shrimp deaths?
And true, the only time I killed all my mossballs was when I was overdosing to kill hair algae.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode