water change?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
water change??

how often are you guys changing your water ? i do 25% every week is this to much or to little ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 01:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
how big is your tank, and what do you have in it?
everybody has different water change schedules, some people think you can never have too many water changes, and other people do the bare minimum because they don't like the work. you're probably fine. it's almost certainly not too much.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)
50% partial water change

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
I do 50 % each week on the fish tank and 20 % a week on the shrimp tanks.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 01:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispino Ramos View Post
50% partial water change
that might work for you but it doesn't have to be everybody's! different if you're EI dosing, i think that's the usual recommended for that...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 01:50 AM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
I do 25%-30% in shrimp tanks, and 50%-60% in high tech, high fert tanks.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Mine varies with the load. From 25% every 3-4 days when crowded to 25% after three weeks. When fish are breeding and there are very few in the tank, I leave it alone until things are quiet again. When fish are happy enough to breed and I want them, I don't rock the boat just as a practice.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 02:25 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
I recently did a poll on water changes. It seems 50% weekly water changes is most common, but there is a large variance between all the rest of the numbers. The water change routine people used seemed to mostly depend on whether the tank was being fertilized regularly or was low tech or had special considerations such as sensitive shrimp. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=181103

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 02:30 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
To answer your question directly:

90g and 75g tanks - 50% or more weekly
29g tanks - 50% weekly to monthly (they don't need it weekly, but I still like to do it)
5g tank - 50% weekly to every couple of months (that tank can go for a long time without a water change)

I generally like to do 50% water changes when I do them, but the frequency in which I do them depends on the tank's individual needs. High tech tanks with full EI dosing are changed out every week. Low tech tanks are changed out at least monthly, if not sooner. And my RCS tank has so little bioload that the plants in there can pretty much sustain it. I generally change the water out every 2-4 weeks, but I have gone much longer at times.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
My low tech shrimp is 50% weekly which is way overkill but they will never not have clean water.
My high tech is 70-80% weekly.

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode