Airstone at night: who does it and for how long? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Airstone at night: who does it and for how long?

Just like the title says, who here uses an airstone at night in their planted tank(s)? If so, for how long?

I'm thinking about doing this, but I've never used one before in a planted tank. Just looking for input.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Works great. Before i went overflow and wet/dry sump i ran an airstone for 11 hours at night on a timer shortly after lights went out to about 30 minutes before c02 came on in the morning. Breaks up the surface film well, and helps add oxygen for beneficial bacteria.

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I do from lights out until leaving for work the next morning. It's the only way I would consider having nice shrimp in a high tech tank, assuming it can be done safely at all.

Snail Glades,

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
I do. From lights out till lights on

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:27 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyTR View Post
I do. From lights out till lights on
+1 same, in over-planted and or over-stocked tanks. Keeps the fish alive.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

After switching from a HOB to a powerhead.... and losing a few neons.... I started running one at night.

Starts when lights go off, and stops an hour before lights come on. Haven't had any fish at the surface since.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

Using Airstones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBridges View Post
Just like the title says, who here uses an airstone at night in their planted tank(s)? If so, for how long?

I'm thinking about doing this, but I've never used one before in a planted tank. Just looking for input.

David
Hello D...

If you use standard filtration, you don't need to use an airstone. The filter will create sufficient water movement on the surface so the oxygen is mixed with the tank water and the water movement allows the carbon dioxide to escape.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 02:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yep, I use an air-stone; In the past I didn't, but then got a loach... After I found him gasping at the surface a few times, I decided to bubble the tank.
I know I'm losing CO2, but it definitively makes Ralph more comfortable.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 07:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
i am not doing it now since i am running a low tech tank and my tank is fairly understocked (3 GBRs, 3 honeycomb cats, and a couple tetras) so my plants could use the extra CO2 built up overnight. i havent seen my fish gasping for air at the surface yet. i do have one on a valve though so i can turn it on and off. when the air stone is off, the air pump runs through a line i have set above my aquarium to aerate the frogbit

|

|

RAOK Club #72
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Planted Member

I am agitating the surface with the outflow from my pump and this appears to be working just fine. It is a little noisy though.

I have a 30 litre Red Cherry only tank. If I ran an airstone on a timer, for 9 hours overnight, would that oxygenate the water enough for the following 15 hours?

I have some mossballs in at the moment and will have a small section of riccia carpet and some wood covered in javamoss and three hornworts.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi_Pizza View Post
I am agitating the surface with the outflow from my pump and this appears to be working just fine. It is a little noisy though.

I have a 30 litre Red Cherry only tank. If I ran an airstone on a timer, for 9 hours overnight, would that oxygenate the water enough for the following 15 hours?

I have some mossballs in at the moment and will have a small section of riccia carpet and some wood covered in javamoss and three hornworts.
No it will not. Continual surface agitation of some kind is the key for oxygen adition. That is the primary way bubblers add oxygen to the water. The bubbles themselves do not dissolve much

Sump Pimp #7

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I've never used one in my 55. 3 filters helps with water movement, so I'm not worried. Everyone has been happy, so no airstone for me.

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank
40 breeder reef

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

To give everyone a better picture of what I have going on (should have said this up front), I have two Aquaball powerheads aimed up, near the surface, that add a slight ripple to the water. Nothing dramatic for sure. Otherwise, the spraybar on my filter is four inches or so below the water line and doesn't disturb the surface of the water very much.

The tank is heavily planted now (just started it, so will become more so as time goes by of course) and I eventually plan to have a good size school of tetras and a school of cories, as well as some shrimp (no animals right now at all, though). Tank is 65 gallons, with CO2 added via a Atomic diffuser.

So, I'm gathering the airstone would indeed be a good idea prior to getting fish, yes?

Thanks again!

David
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I would move the spray bar up so it does disturb the surface, if you can.

I've never used CO2, so I honestly don't know if an airstone will help....I've never used one in my tank (CO2 free).

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank
40 breeder reef

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie
I use a koralia nano 240 near the surface, pointing upwards at about 30 deg for continual agitation, day and night, but no white water or splashing. Pressurized co2 at about 2-3 bps.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode