What diffuser to get ? Reactor/atomiser etc etc - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
What diffuser to get ? Reactor/atomiser etc etc

I need help choosing which diffuser to get ,

I want something thats efficient and something that works.

I'm kinda warming towards the sera 500 reactor.

I have pressurised system with solenoid and I am going to use a filter to run it with a flow rate from200lph -800lph ,

I really don't know what to get, but def something out of the tank,

I'm in uk and looked into a DIY reactor and by the time I've managed to get all the bits I may as well have just paid for one .

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Planted Member

As far as diffusers go, I've always wanted to give the Green Leaf Aquariums Atomic diffusers a try...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ia2iYC96lo

Edit: Oh sorry, out of the tank. Well, they have inline versions as well.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

They do look sweet but how well do they work ??? Do they get clogged up etc etc???

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
A regular diffuser won't do as well as a reactor or a atomizer.

A atomizer will probably run you more then what you can build a reactor for. I know you said you priced out doing a reactor. But what style did you price? I would think you should be able to easily build a reactor for a bit less then anything you could buy outright and the function of one you will build will be better then any you could buy. I would recommend building either a cerges or a Rex griggs reactor. Both will work great.

If your curious of the difference in running a atomizer vs a good reactor like the 2 I mentioned. The atomizer will put tons of bubbles in the tank the water will look like 7up and a little hazy. It also doesn't dissolve the co2 100%.

The reactors will not add bubbles to the tank. They do dissolve co2 into the water 100% they all work on the out put of your filter.

Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I am really into building stuff, but I can't find clear PVC pipe near to where I live , it's all online at nasty prices , I could get a gravel siphon and use that pipe but I can't find the right connections for that width then I would have to get all the reducers and fittings etc,

The siphon pipe will cost at least 8-12 I think as it'll be sold under some aquarium hobby make , then I would have to buy all the others bits to reduce it down, when I can get a sera 500 reactor for 26 delivered , soooo that's why I don't wanna make a reactor

Has anybody used this reactor ??
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I wouldn't use clear. Save the money and just do regular pvc pipe. It's what just about every one that makes these types of reactors use. It's cheap and functional. Or do the cerges style.

Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok so I have just got the sera reactor 500 and paid 21 for it new with 2x 16mm/22mm pipe connectors which I think is good , And I must say I'm impressed with it , it's sturdy, should be easy to clean And easy to mount

So is there anything I should be careful of with setting it up or is it just plug and play ??

Also issuers shall I put the outlet spray bar ?

Shallow or deep ???
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I had one of the Sera 1000 reactors but didn't use it and sold it. It did seem sturdy and pretty well made. I've read that some people have issues with the CO2 barb breaking when they try to remove the CO2 tubing for cleaning, etc. I would place a check valve or some other connector inline with the CO2 tubing a couple of inches from the CO2 barb on the reactor. Then when you need to disconnect the CO2 tubing, disconnect it from the check valve, not the CO2 barb.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjpikey View Post
Ok so I have just got the sera reactor 500 and paid 21 for it new with 2x 16mm/22mm pipe connectors which I think is good , And I must say I'm impressed with it , it's sturdy, should be easy to clean And easy to mount

So is there anything I should be careful of with setting it up or is it just plug and play ??

Also issuers shall I put the outlet spray bar ?

Shallow or deep ???
Its plug and play just make sure it is servicable and accessable (the tip about the check valve is a good one) this is bacically a cerges reactor ready made.

all external reactor go on the outlet pipe from the canister (prevents them filling with crud too quickly)

Angle the spray bar 20deg down and around 1" below the surface should be fine (you may need to play around with the angle a bit to maximise flow) I have a power head directly below the spray bar to assist with the circulation.

Canon Pimp Club #003
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
"Living in the lap of luxury isn`t bad, except you never know when luxury is going to stand up." Orson Welles

Last edited by robbowal; 07-05-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: spelling
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
I use a Sera 500 and it's excellent. I had an atomizer and the soda pop bubbles drove me nuts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yea I always put a check valve where I can , either b4 entering the tank or any diffuser etc etc , and I've made up a fair few for DIY co2 in the past so now I have pressurized and a decent reactor , hopefully I will be able to grow awesome plants ,

It says on the instructions that run it at 13.5 psi or 1 bar about 1 bps , would that be a start ??
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjpikey View Post
Yea I always put a check valve where I can , either b4 entering the tank or any diffuser etc etc , and I've made up a fair few for DIY co2 in the past so now I have pressurized and a decent reactor , hopefully I will be able to grow awesome plants ,

It says on the instructions that run it at 13.5 psi or 1 bar about 1 bps , would that be a start ??
Seeing as your rig is adjustable go for it.
You can always tweek the bubble rate if you want but i would keep to the 1 Bar pressure as you dont need to force the Co2 through the reactor.

Canon Pimp Club #003
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
"Living in the lap of luxury isn`t bad, except you never know when luxury is going to stand up." Orson Welles
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok so I have now got the sera all setup , but I am getting the odd bubble coming out from the spay bar , could this be that the flow isn't enough and it's not mixing as well as it should cuz the flow doesn't look as strong as some of the vids on you tube , the filter does say 200-800lph which I thought would be enough , I dunno , what are your thought??
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Banned

PTrader: (176/100%)
it could be just an air pocket...tilt your reactor to the side and it will flush the air out...i have the same reactor...if it builds up again its just co2 building up in the chamber and eventually it will dissolve into the water..
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Could of been air , but I left it for a few hours and there is a lot less bubbles coming out now barely none at all so I will just see what happens

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode