which do you like better about learning things about fish, tanks, plants, etc? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
which do you like better about learning things about fish, tanks, plants, etc?

hey everyone,

so when you talk to someone about fish, plants, shrimp, etc...what do you like better, to hear information that you havent heard before? or to hear information that you have heard before?
the reason i ask is today i went to a LFS with a very good reputation and i was told things i had not heard before. they all made much sense though so i was glad about that. i was also told things i heard before.
i guess being told new information is good because its informative but being told information you already knew is also good because it is like reassurance.

so which one do you personally like better, especially when it comes to your tanks? or both? i guess i like to hear new information since it offers new perspective. in my case, the owner proved everything he said with water tests, almost in a magician kinda style.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

|

RAOK Club #72
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 04:55 AM
s_s
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
So much of what I know about aquatic plant keeping has been directly derived from reading this forum that I appreciate any fresh, trialled perspective that is independent of this culture.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_s View Post
So much of what I know about aquatic plant keeping has been directly derived from reading this forum that I appreciate any fresh, trialled perspective that is independent of this culture.
likewise. i like to hear what others have tried especially different fish store owners. they always seem to have different ways of doing things that work just as well.

|

|

RAOK Club #72

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 06:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I like to hear new info on plants and tanks. I hardly ever talk to people at the lfs though. Half don't know much or don't know any more than myself. I find the web more useful. I like various results not just one person's view. There is better help,suggestions and opinions on forums like this than lfs. One lfs does it this way one does it that way. Personal preference basically and it depends on how many lfs you visit were as on here there could be many people from all over the world that have experimented with things outside the box. Plus lfs don't always have the time of day to spend with you or even care to help you. There is more patience here and the thoughts can be analyzed before responding here to make sure the point gets across.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
I like to hear new info on plants and tanks. I hardly ever talk to people at the lfs though. Half don't know much or don't know any more than myself. I find the web more useful. I like various results not just one person's view. There is better help,suggestions and opinions on forums like this than lfs. One lfs does it this way one does it that way. Personal preference basically and it depends on how many lfs you visit were as on here there could be many people from all over the world that have experimented with things outside the box. Plus lfs don't always have the time of day to spend with you or even care to help you. There is more patience here and the thoughts can be analyzed before responding here to make sure the point gets across.
most LFS i have been to are more business than fish stores. just sell what you need/want and be gone. to me there is nothing wrong with that provided you know what you want and know how to care for it. there is one fish store here that has a computer for you to do your own research in store! of course though you come across a rare gem in which the owner is a hobbyist himself. in those cases i can learn a lot and i like to have new perspective. forums to me are just a way to validate what i have learned or heard because there is a good chance someone has heard it before too.

|

|

RAOK Club #72
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I like hearing new things the most. I have the thirst for knowledge. A lot of that comes from experience with my planted tanks. In just a little over a year I've tested many different principles of plant keeping. Changed multiple filtration systems. And much like math there are fundamental truths much like1+1=2 that will forever be. However there are multiple equations to derive that truth. I like the equations but as of now they are all known knowledge. I look deeper into understanding things like nitrogen fixatin and reducing bacteria and understanding how they work more than just knowing they work. How bio available oxygen affects tanks which is my current experiment which is having a huge impact on algae growth with lot of light and lower c02 levels

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode